'94 Sentra New Starter, Clicky Relay

I have a '94 Sentra, a few weeks ago the starter went bad. I had it replaced, but new one had a bendix(?) that didn't disengage properly, resulting in a kind of draggy noise after the engine kicked in. So they replaced that starter, and with the new one it seems to struggle a little to start, and there is a chattery noise coming from the left side of the dashboard before it starts. It sounds to me like solenoid that's not getting adequate current. I had the battery replaced but that didn't help. This noise wasn't there with either the original starter or the first replacement, so it has to be a problem with either the newest starter or the installation. The shop man said today that the starter was drawing the proper amount of current, so he doesn't believe that the starter is bad. The positive terminal connector on the battery was loose, so he replaced that, but the disturbing noise remains. Any ideas?

Thanks, Mike

Reply to
Auerspitz

Welcome to the world of crappy auto parts store rebuilt starters. Get a Nissan rebuilt if you want one that will last.

Reply to
JimV

I'd recommend replacing your battery ground cable with a thicker one than from the factory, and remount it to solid metal. I did that on my '92 NX and cured a lot of electrical gremlins. It can't hurt, and is cheap and easy to do.

Reply to
EJD