94 Sentra XE starting problem

Hi all, My sons 94 Sentra XE 1.6 ltr, auto trans. will not start. When you turn the key on, the dash lights go out and nothing happens. Not even a clicking sound. Tried to jump it off, no luck. Battery appears to be fine. A friend of his put the car in neutral and it started up fine. Two days later, he went back and tried to start it and nothing again, this time in neutral and tried it in park. His car was at college, we drove down saturday and tried it. Pulled the console out thinking it was a switch on the gear shifter. All the switches appear to be working. Found the starter and pulled on the wires a little to see if they were tight, got back in and it started up just like normal. We got it home and it still started, checked it a few times an hour. Went back out a few hrs later and it wouldnt start then 30 mins later it did.

Any ideas on this one. Is it a bad starter?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
ggiedd

that was not an option in 94

key recognition came along around 96-97

The car has a bad starter

Reply to
NissTech

Does it have a theft deterrent feature that won't allow the engine to start if the wrong key is placed in the ignition? The chip may have gone bad.

Reply to
David Rennick

Thats what I thought, but wanted to ask here first before I took it into a local shop. Not something I want to tackle right now.

No theft devices on the car either.

Thanks so much.

Reply to
ggiedd