95 quest stalls after 2+ hours of driving

when travelling for 2 hours or more, on flat roads but especially to high altitudes, the minivan stops running. after 15 minutes of waiting with the engine shut off, the van starts running again. this happens even when the a/c is not on. all the warning indicators come on and then totally stops running. the nissan dealer completed diagnostics on 3 separate occasions and could not find the root cause. all fluids are full. any ideas?

Reply to
mateo135

Maybe "fuel vapour lock" due to part of the fuel-line getting very hot

Maybe fuel tank "breather/vent" pipe is partially blocked (try removing the fuel-filler cap and seeing if it will re-start immediately, instead of having to wait for 15 minutes)

HTH

Reply to
Catherine Jemma

sounds like a bad fuel pump.

a common problem on V40 series Quests

Reply to
NissTech

I have kinda similar problem on my 97 Quest, and I took it to a local Nissan dealer for around dozen times (they had my Quest on and off for around 1 month) but they can't find the problem.

The first 3 diagnostics can't find any problem so they decided to change the "throttle", it didn't fix the problem so I had it back the next day, then other day etc. for the tech do do some adjustment. Sometime it's getting a little better and sometime it got worse, but the tech still can't find the problem.

And the problem that it starts and runs (at P) fine, and it only happens when switch to "D" or "R" and at STOP sign (faster speed can overcome the problem). And it doesn't happen all the time, and often last from 10-15 minutes to almost a day or so, and sometime it runs fine for 1-2 days. Few times I left my Quest at shop for 2-3 days for the tech to test drive, but they said they can't find any problem to fix. They know the "SERVICE" led is on, and won't mind if I leave my Quest at shop for couple days a time, but I can't have my van park there months after months.

It was 3-4 months ago, my Quest still haven't fixed, my wife had enough of it so she got me the 2000 Toyota Seinna, and leave the Quest paked on drive way for the past 3-4 months.

And I really like my Quest with all the fancy automatic, and power seat etc.. that's why I still hanging on to it, but don't know what to do when the dealer can't fix the problem.

I have a friend who is a mechanic of Toyota dealer, I may ask him to replace the fuel pump see if would solve the problem. But it doesn't sound like fuel problem to me, but seem like some loose connection or shorting somewhere.

P.S. I almost forgot the other important thing. In order for me to keep it running at STOP sign I have to do either.

1) Switch to "N" then put more gas RPM reaches around 2000+ RPM then quick switch to "D" to get it rolling 2) Or one foot on BREAK while other on GAS to keep the engine from stalling.
Reply to
Joe