96 Cefiro creaking noise on turning since crash

Hi all,

Firstly I don't know much about car internals - I'm mostly just a driver...

I was in the middle of a 3 car pile up a few weeks back. I've had all the repairs done - luckily nothing in the engine was damaged, all bodywork - it's roughly quite a tough car! Had to have a new bonnet, front and back bumper and front and back bumper frames.

Now since right after the crash there has been a weird "creaking" / knocking / groaning noise towards the right at the back every time I turn left. And it's only when I turn left. This also happens if I go over speed bumps. I was hoping that after all the repairs were done that it would be sorted out but it's still very much there. I'm taking it for new tyres in the front (was going to have this anyway before the crash) as well as a wheel alignment. All the panelbeater suggested was to get the wheel alignment done.

Any ideas what this might be?

Regards, Wayne

Reply to
Morkalin

My guess would be that something structural was bent and it is causing something in the suspension to bind. A wheel alignment is a good start, but you probably need all the angles checked throughout the suspension. Look for a frame alignment shop.

(for others who might want to jump in, a '96 Cefiro is what we would recognize as an I30 in the US and a Maxima in other countries.)

Reply to
E Meyer

Thanks for your reply. I have looked at the Yellow Pages and the closest thing I could find to frame alignment was chassis straightening... at least I think its the same. And under this was just a whole list of panelbeaters - would this not be the job of a panelbeater? I would expect that if the bodywork gets damaged ("something structural bent") this would be something they should correct? I did ask the guy what he thought about the noise this morning when I picked the car up and he said he didn't have any idea what it could be and just suggested I have the wheel alignment checked.

Would frame aligners be different to panelbeaters?

Regards, Wayne

Reply to
Morkalin

If they advertise themselves as frame straighteners then you would expect that they would check it. Apparently from the response you got, maybe not.

Around here (Dallas), there are specialized shops that only do alignments and frame straightening. The panelbeaters outsource the precision work to them.

Reply to
E Meyer