96 Maxima GXE 5 Speed--opinions?

Hello all!

I'm looking at a 1996 Maxima GXE 5 speed.

Does anyone own one of these?

Any words of advice to a fresh graduate, without a job, looking to replace his old clunker with this beauty? The car has about 95,000 miles on it. Are there any issues that I should know of before buying the car? Assuming the car was in good shape, mechanically, what would you pay for it?

God bless you all!

Reply to
Tera Baap

Look for some maintenance records. Problems I have seen include oxygen sensors, rear brake calipers, and exhaust system hangers. Admittedly, though, the exhaust system hangers are arguably a maintenance item. Also, the "Y" pipe of the exhaust system coming off the engine runs about $700 from Nissan. If you have rear drum brakes, then you won't have any problems with those rear calipers! (that's a joke).

In terms of price, I would check out the various Web sites, like Edmonds, for an estimate. I would pick the low end of any range, because manual transmission cars of that class are somewhat difficult to sell. People seem to expect automatics in their Accords, Camrys and Maximas, while they'll more readily accept manuals in their Civics, Corollas and Sentras.

Reply to
ppointer

First an Acura CL on the Acura group, then a civic in the Honda group, now a Maxima. Any of these cars will serve you just fine, if it has been maintained properly. The Civic is not in the same class with a CL or a Max. The Maxima does not have a timing belt, so upkeep might be a bit less expensive.

I just bought a '96 I30 (Infiniti version of the Maxima) with 80,000 miles for my daughter for $4300 from a dealer. Looks and drives like new. I got them to replace a bad oxygen sensor, give it a complete brake job, and put a new Texas safety/emissions sticker on it included in the price.

I would pay less for a '96 GXE, especially with a 5-speed. Manual transmissions, though highly desirable to a certain segment of the car buying population, lower the resale value because the majority don't want them.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Excellent advice! Thanks so much for taking the time.

Reply to
Tera Baap

Gotcha.

That's a pretty good deal!

Wise words.

Thanks for your help =)

Reply to
Tera Baap

I have a 98 GXE Auto I bought in 2000 with 34K on it. It just turned over

120K and the only time it has seen a mechanic was for 2 front end alignments, a set of tires, and new struts. I also got a set of springs off an SE and put them on while I had the struts off. I have had ZERO mechanical issues and do most of my own maintenance, i.e. brakes, oil changes, and other minor stuff.

I am a Nissan man. This is my 3rd consecutive Nissan. Take that for what it's worth......in other words, yes I am biased. With that said, however, my

98 Maxima is the best car I have ever owned. I would reccomend Maxima's to anyone.

I suggest you check out

and search the forums at
The forums are a great source of infomation aboutanything Maxima from how to operate the windshield wipers to highperformance modifications and everything in between.. Nickle's worth of my 2 cents.

:-) Mike

Reply to
Mike and Chris