'96 Nissan Sentra Speedo Sensor Removal a Booger

Hey all--

The state inspection guy told me the speedo sensor on this car is faulty; nearly bought a new one today for about forty bucks but decided to pull the existing unit for a look-see first.

Seemed like it would be easy. The damned thing is hard to reach, with one screw to secure it to the tranny case; I have been able to turn the thing about 270 degrees but it won't come out of its hole--it is sealed with an O-ring, but beyond that I ain't sure about the base. Is this a bayonet-style connection-?

Anyone done a R/R on one of these sensors-?

Thanks--Buzzy

Reply to
BuZzY

The oring is just stuck to the bore in the tranny.

Reply to
Steve T

"You are correct, sir! haw haw haw..."

Thanks--a little WD-40 did the trick.

I am disappointed to find the drive cog is intact and I wonder: do these things get erratic or fail altogether-? I'm gonna try and generate a signal with it--anyone know how many millivolts or volts this little sender should produce at a moderate RPM-?

Thanks,

Buzzy

Steve T wrote:

Reply to
BuZzY

I just rigged a little test stand and measured the [AC] voltage, which varied smoothly with the RPM from 0 to 5.5± V. Appears to work.

So--what would send the test machine a "faulty" code on this deal-? The lead to the sender was on good and snug. The wiring diagram i have for this car omits all this info. Damn.

Time for more coffee.

Buzzy

BuZzY wrote:

Reply to
BuZzY

When you find out that replacing the speed sensor in the transmission doesn't fix it , be sure and let me know.

I'll let you know what will really fix it

Reply to
NissTech

Man, I'm anxious to hear it-! I took the old one out and put some leads on it--turned the cog at a moderate speed--whupped out 0--5.5V smoothly.

Also--after having heard the EGR valve was faulty, I felt around and found a seriously holed rubber hose from the EGR-->another dashpot--replaced it. (I ain't ready to buy the 150 dollar EGR valve just yet.)

I put [them] back in and drove the car, worked fine--if I unhook the battery for a moment and then drive it a few miles, and the EGR + speedo functions straighten out, will the computer "forget" the prior problems-? I need this damned inspection sticker-!!

Thanx

Buzz

Reply to
BuZzY
**Hey NissTech--you have my curiosity piqued--you say the speedometer sensor (on the tranny) is likely not at fault--what else is there--maybe the part in the dash-?? The needle just falls for periods of time than kicks back in.

thanks, dude

NissTech wrote:

Reply to
BuZzY