'96 Pathfinder: cupping wear on new front tires

I've seen some past posts in this group regarding recommended tires for the Pathfinder. Based on what I had seen here and researched through manufacturer literature, I came to the conclusion to purchase a set of Michelin Cross Terrains for my PF (at Discount Tire Co.). I was extremely pleased with them compared to my Mich. LTX A/Ts that were on there when I bough it. (Yeah, I know those ones are more for off-road and will have more road noise.)

Anyways, here is my main question: what would be causing the cupping wear on my front tires? I have about 4500 miles on them and plan to take it in this week for a rotation, but would like some ideas as to what may be causing the problem before I take it in. Here is some additional info about my PF:

1996 SE with 137k miles, adjustable shocks/struts were replaced with OE adj. shocks/struts at 119k (most of the time I use the comfort suspension mode), the upper and lower control arm bushings in the rear were replaced and 4-wheel alignment was performed around 132k (shortly before buying the new tires so that I could fix the "shimmy" problem).

Thanks for any comments/opinions!

Randy.

Reply to
Randy Schuster

Tires cup on most SUVs because of the additional friction against rotation forces by the front drive system. I rotate mine every 6,000 miles.

Reply to
ppointer

How often do you rotate your tires. You should rotate at least every 6k. I have a 97 Pathfinder I rotate every oil change, but it's free for me, every

Reply to
brystok

Well, I haven't rotated yet. Tires have about 4500 miles on them. Originally, I was thinking about doing the rotations every 4000 miles since I tend to drive my PF kinda like a sports car at times. However, I am planning to take it in for a rotation within the week.

I hope that I don't need an alignment since I had a 4-wheel alignment done about 5000 miles ago (right before the new tires were installed).

Are there any suspension components for the front end that may be worn and need to be replaced?

Thanks again, Randy.

Reply to
Randy Schuster

After rereading your original post, I want to point out that some tires are more susceptible to cupping than others. My memory of the Cross Terrains is that they have larger tread blocks than the LTX's. Therefore, I would expect more cupping, or quicker cupping, than what you (and I) experience with the LTX's. Maybe a rotation at 4,000 isn't a bad idea with the Cross Terrains.

Reply to
ppointer