96 sentra alternator?

I've gone through 2 replacement warrantee alternators in 2 months with my 96 sentra. They are getting literally smokin hot. However, they are producing between 13.5 and 14.2 volts on the fluke meter. I think I have a grounding problem. What I have traced out so far is I solid ground from battery to driver side fender. Good from this fender to engine block. Where the bad connection is located is from the alternator housing to the passenger side fender. Why would this make a difference when the primary ground is through the alternator's mounting bolts to the block? Engine mount's? Oh, these reman. units are from Auto Zone. I know, I know AZ is not premium equip. , but they should last more than 3 weeks a piece.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

The problem is with the AZ alternator,

I have said this more times than I can count, so I'll say it again

Aftermarket rebuilt alternators/starters are JUNK.

spend the money and get one from the dealer

Reply to
NissTech

First, get a new alternator. Second, run a ground directly from your battery to your alternator. It'll cost you about 10 bucks for the wire, but you'll be happy you did it. Even if it was the AZ alternator that wasn't working right, a good ground is always good to have.

Sark

Reply to
Sarky

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Altenator overheating? The current demanded by your car PLUS the charge current demanded by your battery exceeds the current that your altenator can deliver. Plain and simple! Now, as someone wrote earlier, IF this is an aftermarket altenator it likely is overspec'd IOW, it cannot deliver what the specs indicate. A factory rebuild IS like a new altenator, it does retain the same specs as the one originally installed by the factory for the same comnponents are used. Napa is a good idea, The few cents more the parts cost are easily found back in the quality. It does not harm to check factory prices either tho.

-Clem

Reply to
Klem

Hey Clem,

I was thinking the same. This AZ unit is rated at 70 amps. The NAPA units are 80 amps. I called the dealer and they can get a rebuilt unit for me, but not a "new" one. So I guess what your saying is that the dealer rebuilds are reman'd to the factory spec's. These same thoughts had crossed my mind, but you have been the first to present the facts. I am however going to replace the ground wires from the battery to the fenders, engine alternator, etc. They are showing signs of corrosion.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Trust me , you will be replacing it again. sooner than you probably think.

Maybe I used the wrong words, dealers sell reman alternators but everything except the outer shell is NEW.

BTW , Nissan North America rebuilds their parts.

Running the extra ground is not going to fix a thing, but go ahead and get the NAPA one and put it on, I'll just go ahead and say " I told ya so " now.

Reply to
NissTech

How did you determine that?

The -big- wire on the negative cable should go to the engine block to supply curent to the starter.

Bingo.

No, I'm surprized that lasted that long. The "lifetime" warranty is only good until you get sick of swapping them out, which is directly related to where the alternator is located on the vehicle.

Reply to
Steve

Which is going to cost more than $25 in time and money.

Sure but they are rebuilt by nissan using new nissan internals. I've NEVER had one give problems.

And you want to try to save $25 that bad to then hope these are any better?

Reply to
Steve

Uh, Niss? They're not listening. These guys have preconcieved prejudices against anything from a dealer so they will do anything possible to avoid going to them, even if it costs a whole lot more in the end. Some of them went to the Forrest Gump School of Logic, so it is a waste of time to try to talk them into doing something the right way, even if it is easier. I don't know why you waste time giving good advice, most of these guys won't take it. If they distrust the dealer, they're surely not going to listen to someone who works on Nissans all day for a living. They would rather go out of their way making trouble for themselves just to prove they can do things not recommended by professionals.

Reply to
Harry Balls

It does seem strange. There is an aftermarket parts store next to us and we do use some of their stuff, especially if we (actually the customer) is in a big hurry. I've heard people say in their store "I'm not going to even bother calling the dealer" and watched them pay 3X what the dealer part would be or pay the same price for a lower quality part!

I found this guy's logic odd. He's already been burned by an aftermarket alternator and is going to pay withing $25 of a -real- one for another aftermarket one to see if it might work?

Reply to
Steve

Thanks for the props Harry, You are probably right, this guy will probably go to NAPA and buy the cheaper part, install it and find it does the same thing.

I don't know why I waste my time either, I guess I'm a glutton for punishment

Reply to
NissTech