96 Sentra gxe Gas Leak near plenum ???

Hi,

I just checked my gf's 96 Sentra with the 1.6 liter engine, and saw what looks like a gas drip coming off something, only when the engine is running. I can't see the origin of the drip, but I can see the drop falling down once every 40 seconds approx.

When I am looking from the front, the drop comes from somewhere behind the green spring that tensions the throttle lever. I think it might be higher than the green spring also.

There is a round metal unit there, looks like a fuel pump, but probably isn't since the pump is in the tank, right? This round unit is just under the iac valve, and to the right (driver side) of the intake (plenum?).

The gas line coming out of the filter is dry all the way over to the passenger side of the [fuel rail ? ] .

What might be leaking gas in this area ?

Thanks

Reply to
User132384

sounds like it is leaking coolant.

can you get one of the drips on your finger and smell it ... taste it

if it smells like gas then it most likely is .

but if it has no smell , give it a small taste, if it has a sweet taste it is most likely coolant.

Reply to
NissTech

As a matter of fact, there was some coolant on the road under the engine, but I was hoping it was from a leaky rad hose I tightened up. There was no smell from the leak, and I haven't tasted it yet ! I'll get some on a finger and smell it. What part of the cooling system is way up there by the throttle? Thanks again.

Reply to
User132384

You were right. I stuck a long thin piece of cardboard in there, and it smelled like plain water with a trace of antifreeze. Definitely not gas. I noticed a heater hose(?) back there that goes onto a metal pipe. For warming up the intake area, I guess. Probably dripping at the hose / pipe connection.

Thanks

Reply to
User132384