'96 Sentra-trying to fix speedo, pass inspection

Yep, it's that old speedo sensor-speedo dash cluster-CHECK ENGINE light deal again--car flunked test today, but not the first time--former inspector guy used a dynamometer to determine emissions; new guy uses the onboard computer that says I have a "faulty speedometer sensor"--it works fine, but the speedo occasionally fails--AND--a gentle thump on the plastic gets it going again. The Big Problem: as long as this stuff is wacky my dreaded "CHECK ENGINE" light will forever doom my inspection.

I am trying to remove the cluster and check all the connections, etc. What the hell is the trick to removing the [3] mulit-pin connectors-?? Each has a pair of what appears to be locking tabs; when they are unfastened and swung aside, the plug is absolutely not coming out. Any suggestions-?

The punchline: I discovered someone had simply removed the CHECK ENGINE bulb--I have had the car for about four years. Great.

Cheers--buzz '96 Sentra 1.6 L/auto/overdrive

Reply to
bz

I think you'll find this link usefull;

:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Thanks for the suggestion, but I was unsuccessful; couldn't get the page to accept a password. Nothing worked (kind of like my Nissan). Sigh.

I found an outfit here in N Texas that sells Nissan parts--lots of 'em--the guy is selling me a used speedo for $40. Not bad. I hear that a bad speedo will wreck the whole computer emissions calculation function. (And trigger the dreaded CHECK ENGINE light)

cheers buzz

Reply to
bz