97 Altima stalling

Have a fried with a 97 Altima. 118K miles. Starting to stall. Sometimes it will idle fine and sunddenly bog down. He was told that it is possibly the mass air sensor. I do not know the failure mechanism of this sensor but it doesn't make sense to me that it would run fine sometimes then shutdown the next. New ones are expensive. From the junk yard they are only $50 but if that is the problem how long will one form the junk yard last. Not trying to be cheap here but we are basically doing a easter egg hunt and don't want to spend a bunch of maney to find out that is not the problem. Anyone know how to narrow down what the problem is? How to test the mass air sensor? Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Check engine light on?

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
William Michael Greene

The check engine light will turn on from an open gas cap. The main indicator that the mass air sensor is faulty is that the engine won't rev past 3000 rpms.

CD

Reply to
codifus

Thanks for the reply. Looks like that may not be our problem. We bought a used sensor from a junk yard to try. Not hoperful that it will solve our problem now.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Reply to
JimV

Try to follow that advice from JimV and read the Check Engine code. The computer should be under the passenger side of the front seat. You need a REAL short screwdriver that also had a 'blade" that's not much wider than 3/16 inch. With the ignition ON but the car NOT running, you would turn the adjustment (that's the front screw on the door side of the computer) clockwise to the limit of its travel - but Don't force it. After a short while (few seconds) the check-engine light will begin to flash and you can then put the adjustment screw back in about the middle of its range of travel. This flashing should give you 2 different numbers if you count the number of times it flashes. One number will be with short flashes and the next number will be long flashes - - and there is a WAIT between the two different flashing numbers. This sequence would repeat indefinitely until the igntion is turned off. After you've read the TWO number code you can go back HERE and try to find out WHAT error that code number means. The type of code is what's called the OBD-2 code "On Board Diagnostic-2" version. I had a Mass Air Flow meter get lousy on my 97 XE truck & and it was tough finding a replacement. The NEW unit will cost about $432, or it did about 2 years back. I took my old unit apart and it had MOISTURE inside! If you replace you MAF module - you better try to also use the SAME factory-made air intake horn that the module plugs into also. I DIDN'T do that & my truck ain't running too good yet.

"William Michael Greene" wrote in message news:S7_fi.7157$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews8.bellsouth.net...

Reply to
DunnoWho

Thanks for the advice. To answer the question from JimV, initially there wasn't a check engine light. A "Mechanic" advised us that it was the mass air flow sensor so that is why we went that route. Also we did not know how to check the codes. That is why I came here for advice. Will try and see what the computer says.

Thanks again.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

The light was not on initially and the OP says he tried removing the gas cap and disconnecting the mass air. Both of these acts will set a code and light the light. I bet he'll get a mass air sensor code because of running the engine with it disconnected, which really doesn't tell him anything. I think he should reset the computer and wait to see if the light comes back on after some driving, which might then provide a useful code.

Meanwhile, try cleaning out the throttle body & adjusting the IAC & see if that has any effect on the problem. How old are the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, etc? This could be just a routine clean up/ tune up issue.

Reply to
E Meyer

Try taking the distributor cap off and look for oil. If there isn't any, then take the rotor off and then remove the cover over the cam angle sensor and see if there's any oil there.. I guess it was pretty common for the seal in the distributor to start to leak, which puts oil into the holes the cam sensor looks through, and of course causes stalling and hesistation. Never happened with my '94 Alt, but I guess I was lucky.. or it had already been replaced!

Reply to
JM

I had the problem with my 97 pickup MAF sensor. The $400. plus dollars from Nissan for the part included the throttle body (the only way they will sell the part). I got a sensor only from a junk yard for $40.00 from a car with the same motor. It solved the problem.

Reply to
Larry Colombo

Shame on you, you went too far abusing your engine. When I gave you the best advice you called mine BS. Oh by the way, when you listen to JimV, you get BS result, because he is too hung up with self-righteousness.

Mike. PS. Yup, my Infiniti G20 goes 57mpg. This car will outlast every car out there because it is not working as hard as yours. It has the rolling effect, meaning it can go 5-6 miles without engine's assistance (it is a Kinetic energies that it used,

Mike

What are you talking about?

Reply to
William Michael Greene