97 Pathfinder Timing belt question

I am about to buy a 97 Pathfinder with 90k on the engine..... at 105k Nissan says to replace the timing belt....... I was wondering what damage happens to the engine in the event that this belt snaps? Also, about how much can I expect to pay to have this job done...... your answers will determine my price offer and if I replace the belt sooner rather than later, so please speak from experience..... thanks

Reply to
don

The Nissan V6 is an interference engine. If the timing belt breaks the valves hit the pistons and serious damage is done. The cost to replace the belt is around $1000 depending upon where you live and what else has to be replaced along with the timing belt. To get some idea what the vehicle is worth in your area go to kbb.com and follow the links for a used car purchase. I have owned Nissan V6's since 1985.

Reply to
Jay Carney

In all those years can I ask you if any timing belts broke on you and at what mileage?

Reply to
don

The bottom line here is that you don't want to wait for timing belt to break you want to replace it before it does.

There is no telling when it's "going to go" . Nissan has a recommended replacement interval that should be followed.

If the belt breaks your looking at major $$$ to the tune of $2500 or more depending on damage

As the old saying goes... "You can pay me now or pay me later"

Reply to
NissTech

I've never had a Nissan timing belt break. I replaced the timing belt on my Hardbody at about 120k miles because I wanted to stay somewhat close to the recommended maintenance schedule. I just replaced the timing belt on my 2000 Frontier with only 90k miles, but it was 12 years old and the age bothered me. The belt was a little stretched but showed no signs of cracking or deterioration. My environmental conditions were limited to southern California and Nevada. If you are dealing with temperature extremes and severe driving conditions, that will probably will influence your maintenance decisions.

Reply to
Jay Carney

Any other things I should look out for?

Reply to
don

If you are interested in maintenance issues you can Google 1997 Pathfinder problem and see what other people have experienced. Generally, the Nissan V6 has been pretty reliable. However, in my opinion, the V6 is not easy to maintain when it does have a problem and after my 2000 Frontier I will not buy another Nissan V6. In fact, I don't intend to buy any V6 for my needs. A 4 cylinder is cheaper to operate and maintain and does everything I need. You may want to consider why you want/need a V6.

If you do buy the Pathfinder, I would plan on replacing the belts and radiator hoses (including the bypass hose) with Nissan parts unless you know when they have been replaced and if they were Nissan parts or not. Similarly I would change the engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, brake fluid and differential lube.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jay Carney