99 Altima Rear Brake Shoes

I went to replace the rear brake shoes on my 1999 Altima. I was surprised to find the replacements from the auto parts store did not match the ones I took out. The new shoes looked like the ones in my

1993-1998 Chilton's manual. However, the ones I took out have a permanently mounted parking brake lever and two roller pins used to mount the self adjusting lever. The new ones had neither of these. When I took the new shoes back to Advance, the computer showed only one rear brake shoe for my 99 Altima. He also checked from 97 through 01 and could not find a different brake shoe.

The bottom line is the brakes in my 1999 Altima are diffent from the ones in the manual. Anyone else run into this problem?

Reply to
Tom Kunsitis

UH, you remove the pins and lever for the new shoes...

Reply to
doS

The lever is riveted to the shoes. There is no way to remove it without cutting it. The shoes which did not fit used a spring clip which was not on the shoes in my vehicle.

Also the new shoes do not have holes where the pins are located.

Finally, the new shoes are larger than the one which came out of my 99 Altima, so even if I could transfer parts from the old shoes, they would still not fit.

Reply to
Tom Kunsitis

question...does your Altima have 4-wheel disc's (in which case, the shoes are only for the parking brake function) or front disc's with rear drums? Maybe best if you check with the dealer.

Reply to
: )

They are indeed drum brakes. I did finally find them on-line. It seems Nissan used two types of brakes on the Altima in 1999. Most used the "other" type. I just happened to get an Altima that used the less common shoes.

Reply to
Tom Kunsitis