A Word About Synthetic Oil

From

: "3. Is it a "True Synthetic"? Prompted by a challenge to Castrol's use of hydrocracked Group III base oils in its Syntec product, the National Advertising Division of the US Council of Better Business Bureaus in 1999 allowed the definition of "synthetic lubricant" to include Group III-based oils. This decision resulted in a quick replacement of PAO by Group III oils due to $1.50 to $2 per gallon cost savings: most oil producers (with the notable exception of Mobil) made the switch in their synthetic products. There is some controversy about claiming VHVI Group III base oils as "synthetic". According to an unnamed PAO expert quoted in Lubricant World magazine, "The quality of Group III products is inconsistent, and their physical properties are different from one manufacturer to the next." Marketers using G III VHVI base oils in their "synthetic" lines include Castrol (Syntec), Valvoline, and Petro Canada. Those using Group IV or V oils include Mobil. According to Lubricant World magazine, "The synthetic market in general has seen ... new blends, new product releases, and formulation changes" and this continues to the present. Because marketers do not freely disclose oil formulations, caveat emptor prevails. "

Ironically, Amsoil, which constantly touts synthetic oils (and at first poo-pooed Syntec), now also sell a Group III based "synthetic" oil (the XL7500 line). See

. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I use Mobil 1 in my 94 Maxima since new.

Recently I decided to check for some noise which I attributed to the VTC. The real problem was a leaky chain tensioner. The interesting thing was to see basically no engine wear on the sprockets, chain, camshafts, lash adjusters, etc. and zero oil sludge deposits after 114k miles on the car.

When I did this repair, I also replaced the water pump which was already beg> Shortly after Mobil 1 appeared in the 1970s, I read an report on it in a

Reply to
AS

If you figure out the difference in cost for Synthetic vs. dino, using

5K vs. 3K changes, the cost over the life of the car is really trivial and very cheap insurance. Synthetics do leave *fewer* (if any) deposits inside a motor after some serious miles. Tear down an engine and look at the accumulated gunk in the seals on dino vs. synthetic. Anyone with a turbo should be using a synthetic as they resist coking much better than dino oils. Many owners also report minor increases in mileage using synthetics.

Your choice - the cost difference is almost too little to argue about if you do your own work.

Reply to
Bob

Let's see:

Let's take a car lasting a rather long 300,000 miles. It uses 4 quarts of oil. 1 quart of dino costs $1.40. A quart of synthetic costs $4.00. A synthetic oil change for this car would cost $16.00 + filter. A dino oil change for this car would cost $5.60 + filter.

Over a 300,000 mile lifespan, by changing the oil with dino every 3000 miles, the total oil change costs comes out to $560.00 + filters.

Over a 300,000 mile lifespan, by changing the oil with synthetic every

5000 miles, the total oil change costs comes out to $960.00 + filters.

The difference between synthetic and dino is pretty much a factor of 2.

Now don't get me wrong, I very much agree with the fact that Synthetic is better, hands down it is. But is it worth it? Also, with turbos I also agree, go with synthetic. Turbos cook the oil something cronic and the the stronger the oil can be, the better. Normally aspirated, though, I question the cost.

Here's another interesting tidbit: Corvettes come standard with synthetic oil. Yet, I've heard that these cars are in the shop all too often. The problems associated with Vettes may not be related to the oil, but this make me beg the question: does that car really need synthetic, esepcially since it doesn't seem to be so bullet proof anyway?

CD

Reply to
Codifus

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 19:16:16 -0400, Codifus graced this newsgroup with:

..sure but it's not all up front costs. 300,000 miles for the average person is well over twenty years. Nothing that'll break anyone's bank in oil changes IMHO.

..the problems with 'vettes are not engine specific, in so much that it has anything has to do with the type of oil that's in it. It's just another example of poor, yet over hyped, Detroit engineering.

As for 1.50 a quart, it may soon come to the point that synthetics may actually be cheaper, or at least no more expensive, than dino oil. Especially since oil is now at $70 a barrel.

Reply to
kegler

Per your math (if my math is correct) the additional cost of syn vs dino is .1333 US cents per mile. Virtually unnoticable.

OTOH, an engine operating with syn oil will almost certainly be absolutely free of any sludge. Sludge is one of the primary causes of early failure of modern auto engines.

I seem to remember a recent Consumer Reports article on sludge problems in newer engines. Some are more susceptible(??) than others, but it seems to be an increasingly common problem.

Reply to
Butch Davis

Perhaps it need synthetic *because* "it doesn't seem to be so bullet proof"!!

Incidentally I;ve just stuffed some in my Primera. It's a little early to tell, but I think fuel consumption is a tad better. Maybe 10%. If it is - and I won't know for sure for some months - that would easily outweigh the cost of the oil.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Try looking at Amsoil...

it is a much better product and outperforms M1 in all "independent" lab and real-time testing. I have been using it for over 20-years now, it is in my lawnmore, air-compressor...and the list goes on.

Mike

Reply to
mp

"mp" quipped:

Amsoil is a good oil but every test I've read indicated that "better than M1" is only confirmed by "independent" lab tests sponsored by Amsoil.

Additionally, if M1 retains 99% of it's properties at 5k miles and Amsoil retains 99.2%, both well above what's needed to do it's job at the normal change intervals.

There's some point in which you're paying for hype and overkill and IMHO, Amsoil, is extremely effective in their advertising convicing you that their product does something *better* than other synthetics, when in fact, it doesn't.

Reply to
amstaffs

Amsoil is SCAMSOIL. It's a good product, not magic elixir and certainly no better than other 100% synthetic oils and no way does it justify the higher price. My experience with it goes back to the early 70s when my FIL became a dealer through his tractor repair center in Rexburg ID. He dropped it after a few years after coming to the conclusion that it was over-priced and afflicted with exaggerated claims. I agreed then and still do now.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Amsoil is US only. No use to the rest of us.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ