Adjustable steering rack on Maximas

I have a 97 SE with a very freely moving steering rack. Apparently there should be an amount of friction against sliding, and according to TSB

00-037B, adjusting a nut on the rack can adjust that friction. It also mentioned Pathfinders, Altimas, and Quests have a similar rack.

A dealer quoted $200 for the work, including a realignment - ouch. I just had a complete alignment done 2 weeks ago. It looks really tight to get to this adjuster nut, and even more impossible to get to the locknut. It seems like lowering the rack somewhat would help a lot.

Is this something do-able by a home mechanic? Any help appreciated.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Why would you have it aligned if the R&P had a bunch of freeplay in it?

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Zero freeplay, I assure you. This adjusts the preload on the pinion bearing and translates into a little more force to make the wheel/steering system turn.

The problem is that any suspension motion or road bump will cause the steering linkage/wheel to move, and so I have to constantly correct my line at higher speeds because it's not possible to hold the wheel perfectly still. It's been driving me nuts and getting worse for the last 30k, and I finally found this procedure.

I can also feel it when the car is off the ground - I can turn the front wheels much easier than on my other cars.

Dave

Reply to
David Geesaman

Well when you said " very freely moving steering rack" I took that to mean "freeplay"

Reply to
Meat-->Plow