Aftermarket Parking Brake for '04 Frontier?

Anyone know of a hand-operated brake that could replace the existing foot-operated parking brake on the Frontier? I've owned at least 5 cars/trucks with manual transmissions and all had a brake that could be easily activated and controlled while stopped on a hill. When I test drove the truck it was all pretty flat and it didn't even occur to me to check the brake situation. To me it is how you drive a manual. The only way I can get going uphill without rollback is to control the gas and brake at the same time with one foot. It's hell on dirt roads and probably isn't doing the clutch any good.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ulysses

No offense, but learn to drive stick first. One of the first lessons my Dad taught me when driving stick was to start from a stop without rolling back. Now I hardly ever roll back at all on a hill. It's all about learning how to drive it properly and the friction point of the clutch. It will take some practice but is worth it. I never touch the e-brake and can go from neutral to moving on a hill without any rollback.

Reply to
SneakerFreak

No offense to you either, but how is it possible to "feather" the clutch while stopped on a hill, without using the brakes, and not wear out your clutch in a big hurry? The only way I can see to do it the clutch would be only partially engaged. Most certainly I am capable of doing this (been driving a stick for about 35 years) but to me part of knowing how to drive is how to keep your vehicle from wearing out prematurely from improper use.

Reply to
Ulysses

??? I've been driving a stick for 30 years and have never used the handbrake.... I don't "hill hold" with the clutch either, you just have to be quick going from the brake to gas.

Reply to
Steve T

Simple - know the friction point real well and you can get off the brake and on the clutch without rolling back. I've been driving stick for 14 years and learned immediately how to do it. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of it. Probably go quick to about 1/2 way and then regular from there.

If it's pretty flat, I'll sit in neutral with the clutch out (saves the throwout bearing) and can get going pretty quick. If it's a real steep hill, I may stay in 1st with the clutch pressed. But I don't feather (or even keep it dragging) at all on a hill.

Reply to
SneakerFreak

Only used the e-brake a couple times. One of which was when I was in NYC and pulling out of a parking garage that must have been a 30 degree hill. This guy in a Mercedes S-class pulls up practically to my bumper.... Not wanting to scratch a $70k car, I used the e-brake.

But get used to going from brake to clutch quick and you will never use the brake.

Reply to
SneakerFreak

OK, so by now I guess we can say it's established that I don't know how to drive a stick. But how long do your clutches last? When I sold my Toyota truck it had 150,000 miles on it and still had the original clutch (brakes too).

I will practice the technique you guys suggested but I still think the tires are gonna spin on dirt.

Reply to
Ulysses

You can also learn to heel-toe shift (as racers do). Essentially you put your right foot on both the brake and gas at the same time and you are free to use your left foot for the clutch. Your right foot can then modulate the brake and the gas by rolling it left or right. Takes some practice.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Well, I can't say. I have an '86 mustang 2.3, 1st car (don't ask - sentimental reasons why I can't get rid of it) in '92 - bought with 58k on it, needed a new clutch by 65k. May have been me learning to drive stick and being a kid (trying to peel out, etc)... @ 100k the front trans seal puked oil all over the clutch. @ 130k a botched starter ring gear had the mechanic insisting I get a new clutch to fix a weird engagement issue. @150k the clutch fork wore out and took the clutch/throwout bearing with it. @175k all seems well with the clutch.

Bought a '97 Cobra which I put 58k on the clutch with no issues before I traded it....

Have an '04 G35 6 speed with 15k on it and no issues. This will be my 200k car, so I'm hoping I go at least 150k before I need a clutch.

They may spin a little, esp. with an empty bed. But it shouldn't hurt anything.

Reply to
SneakerFreak

At this point I'm not so worried about the clutch as I am the roads. I'm the one that has maintain them :-(

At least BOTH tires spin on the Frontier. On my old Frod F350 only one usually spins and digs a huge hole.

Reply to
Ulysses

I have a '92 Explorer with 265,000 on it and a '91 that will hit 200,000 soon. I also had an '82 Datsun 510 with about 249,000 when the odometer broke and I think it had about 400,000 on it when i finally got rid of it. The thing still ran good!!! That's one of the reasons I bought the Frontier.

Reply to
Ulysses