Almost lost a socket

I need something strong to retrieve a wrench socket from a deep spark plug port. There's a rubber ring inside to keep out dust, and it pulls the socket right off the extension bar when you try to withdraw it.

I just barely managed to fish it out with one of those 3-prong grabbers, and I'd like to know what you would use. Even better if it's some ordinary thing around the house instead of a specialty item from a hardware store.

Thanks, Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

DemoDisk wrote the following:

willshak

Thanks, Bill. That looks like it was made for the plug port I described. Might be a tight fit, tho.

Jm

Reply to
DemoDisk

I had the same problem so I got another short extension bar and tack welded the plug socket to it.

Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Long nose pliers?

If socket has a detent hole then a hook made from a bent wire coat hanger.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Thanks, TS.

Reply to
DemoDisk

A little silicone lube on the rubber in the socket helps at removal time. Since the rubber's function is really just to hold the plug loosely while the metal of the socket does the work, it will not affect operation at all.

Reply to
me

the plug socket to it.

I second that motion because it works a treat.

In addition, I had a *heck* of a time keeping my oil filter cup wrench attached to the end of my ratchet extension.

I plugged the assembly together, inverted it and clamped it in a vise. Heated the end of the extension dull orange with a oxy-acet torch and peened it flat against the inside of the (metal) cup wrench.

It remains solidly attached to this day. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

a DOT of super glue? you'd have to clean the oil or grease off the tool mating areas first. you should be able to break it loose after you're done,just don't use TOO MUCH superglue.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There is a socket that uses a magnet instead of a rubber retainer.

Striker

Reply to
Striker

"Striker" wrote in news:i5h66i$dov$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Mr Top-poster,his problem is that the entire SOCKET comes off the extension,inside the valve cover.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Mr. Top-poster

Give me a break, Mr. Net-etiquette

A tight rubber retainer will also cause the socket to hold on to the plug and come off the extension especially if the ball on the extension is warn.I never had that problem with a plug socket with a magnet.

Striker

Reply to
Striker

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C8A91B7E.1FEBA% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

I fail to see how it's "anal-retentive" to read from top to bottom,the NATURAL manner of reading. It's MFFY to top-post.It's egotistical people who selfishly want to read their comments first,too lazy to scroll down to the end.

Oh,so that makes it all right? It IS a "problem". the longer the thread,the more difficult it gets for anyone to follow,and top posting makes it FAR worse,and sooner.

AND,I suspect you didn't try my suggestion about trying one of Townhall's fora. It's a perfect example of top-posting screw-up. I dare you to TRY it,then you will understand. Or maybe not.....but then there's no hope for you. For one thing,you might only be able to come across the article -after- there's been 100 posts and replies,and trying to read "newest first" is impossible.Some of the articles originate at midnight,and by 7AM,there's a slew of posts. That's the same as on the newsgroups.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Can we give it a break guys, I use outlook express and like email replies it wants to top post all news group replies. Lets just drop it and get on with our lives !

Striker

Reply to
Striker

I revert to my original assertion - this anal retentive BS is becoming the death of usenet. I have no use for anybody, business or pleasure, who focuses on the jots and commas to the exclusion of the message, which is part and partial what this amounts to.

I have been following these groups for about 15 years, and I have yet to find a discussion I couldn't follow if I wanted to. Its just lame to assert that oldest fist is ideal but newest first is impossible to read. Get real. Scroll down to where you left off and then back up. Geez!

Reply to
E. Meyer

Sorry. This anal retentive stuff just irritates the hell out of me. Anything to avoid the point. It pops up every couple of months in the groups and just serves to bury the on-topic discussion in favor of some old fart's idea of how the world should work. We haven't been using non-scrolling TTY terminals for what, 20 years now?

Reply to
E. Meyer

"E. Meyer" wrote in news:C8AAF2ED.1FF96% snipped-for-privacy@msn.com:

Hardly comparable to commenting on "jots and commas" or typos,which I don't do.

you STILL didn't try Townhall as I suggested.....so you have no idea what you're talking about.

Evidently,there IS no hope for you.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

BS