Altima 96 stumbles on acceleration

Hello group,

I have 96 Altima suddenly the car stumbled and engine shot off as I stepped down on gas pedal. Engine started after but after long cranking. I changed plugs and wires, checked rotor and cap -look good- checked fuel and air filters -look good- and checked fuel pressure on pump and fuel regulator -look good. A bout a month ago replaced front O2 sensor after engine light went on and was running fine after that. After doing all above, now engine hard to start and intermittently shots off after running for few minutes. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Thanks,

Reply to
suladn

Try cleaning the throttle body.

Reply to
E Meyer

Reply to
suladn

I think the EGR will throw a code if its unhappy. It does on other '96 Nissans. How about the vacuum hoses that operate it? Old, cracked, loose, etc?

Did you use a factory O2 sensor? If aftermarket, it might not be exactly right. It will throw a code if its really out, but maybe not if its just marginally off.

Our 240sx (basically the same engine) has done this a few of times over the years. One time, the O2 sensor was causing it, one time it was plug wires & worn cap/rotor, one time it was dirty throttle intake, and most recently, it occurred after driving in a major rain storm. Opening, cleaning, and resealing all the electrical connectors around the front and sides of the engine - basically everything that might've gotten wet, cured it.

Reply to
E Meyer

Thans for the Ideas. The EGR and hoses tested fine but still not sure about EGR temp sensor, it did not measure correctly.

The O2 sensor is after market and had hard time to f> >

Reply to
suladn

Reply to
E Meyer

I've read down the thread, and while it sounds like the things folks have recommended or you've done, you might just have a look at the crank angle sensor to see if it has a small amount of oil getting in there. I know you've checked the rotor and cap - but not sure you checked this part. My '94 quit totally when hot from oil getting past the seal, but a friend's '95 was intermittent for almost six weeks while the small shop changed a lot of other parts. good luck.

Reply to
Orv

Reply to
hyes-13