AWD vs. 2WD with traction control

I am presently negotiating to buy a Murano. I have a choice between AWD without traction control and 2WD with traction control. I am getting a better discount on the AWD car so price is the same. Which car will perform better for general driving and is the better choice?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
GaryZ

Are you going to drive it in snow? Then AWD for sure.

Reply to
JimV

For general driving you won't notice the diference except in your gas bill. With front wheel drive it will also do fine in *most* other conditions. AWD is very oversold.

Reply to
Rob Munach

I live in Texas. We usually get one ice storm per year. Just need the ability to drive around the other idiots on the road when that happens. My Buick Regal has front wheel drive with traction control and it works great. I think I'll save the gas money and get 2WD.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
GaryZ

Do you drive on lose or soft stuff like sand or mud? 4wd may help on that too.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Had a FWD Impala several years back with traction control: Had several inches of the wet heavy stuff on the roads, no plows had removed any of it, so we were driving on fresh packing, I don't recall the vehicle slipping or sliding once.

Reply to
Bob H

I spent my formative years in the North and it seemed to snow more back then. Anyway, good tires, the proper speed (not to fast not to slow) and planning ahead as you drive goes a long way. I drove a '94 Chrysler minivan from Amarillo to Dallas during a nasty storm a few years back. Front wheel drive and some technique kept me going when most others were stuck. Don't mean to sound arrogant. My original concern was AWD vs 2WD with VDC. The ultimate if one can afford would be AWD with VDC. AWD without VDC seems pointless to me on a FWD car. Thanks to all for your input.

Reply to
GaryZ

Negotiate for AWD with traction control. They will do it or another dealer will!!

Reply to
Dan J.S.