Battery Terminal-Connector Corrosion

I have an '01 Sentra GXE with after market alarm. For about a year and a half I've had no problems with the car.

I now have a nagging problem with my battery terminal connector (Ground). Every couple of weeks the Connector (Ground) corrodes. I usually find myself in a parking lot after shopping to find that the car won't start, so I pop the hood to find the connector/terminal is corroded.

I already replaced the OEM battery and cleaned the terminals.

I've had the battery tested and it's 100%. So was the original OEM stock battery. That's $70 bucks down the drain.

What's the problem??? Anyone know??

Thanks..

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Chris

Reply to
Christine

For more information on corrosion on the battery terminals, check out the following websites:

learn how a battery works:
finally, how to clean a corroded battery terminal connectors:
hope the above helps...ID

Christ> I have an '01 Sentra GXE with after market alarm. For about a year and a

Reply to
REMOVETHISidlafie

Thanks but, doesn't answer my question/problem!

following websites:

Reply to
Christine

Christine,

Your response to that helpful post is confusing... For example the first link talks about what corrosion is, how it happens and how you can prevent it.

As the first link explains it might be caused by your electrical system over-charging the battery, from cells that are over-filled, or from mis-matched alloys in your battery clamps.

Have you had your charging system tested to determine that your system isn't over-charging? Or confirmed your cells aren't over-filled? Or had new battery clamps installed? Please re-read the links that were provided again. You will see that they *do* provide a wealth of information.

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada

Reply to
Geoff Glave

Some old school fixes that work, after you clean the terminals either spray them with "brake quiet" or cover them with wheel bearing grease. I think they also make a specific spray product for coating battery terminals? What causes the corrosion is oxygen, if you coat them with something that keeps the oxygen from them, they won't corrode. Clean bare terminals will corode very quickly!

Reply to
Steve