Best brakes for 96 pathfiner

I am looking to change the front brakes on my pathfinder as the last ones the shop put on didn't last very long. I also plan on turning the rotors. Any advice on which brake pads and are there any complications on the 96 pathfinder?

Thanks!

Reply to
Root

I use the pads from

and have good results (I have nothing to do with them). You know the front rotors don't exactly fall off the truck when you remove the caliper, right?

Reply to
JimV

Buy stock brake pads from the dealer.

Reply to
Rob Munach

What is wrong with the rotors?

Reply to
J. Morvay

I recently replaced my front pads & rotors and used semi metallic pads from Autozone. All the parts costs me $103 with tax. Just Brakes wanted $650 to do the same job, and said it would take 4 hours...I was able to do it in 2 hours, taking coffee breaks every 30 minutes... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

The driver side rotor was really thin on one side. Their estimate only included replacing the one bad rotor...after I heard the price, I told the mechanic to forget about the whole thing and I will do it myself.

For $650, I was expecting a new set of tires as well... :)

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Why do you say not to turn the rotors. I believe from what I can see there is noticable wear on the rotars.

What kind of pads do you recomend (semi-metalic, organic, ceramic)?

How hard is it to get the rotors off?

Thanks

Reply to
Root

And don't turn the rotors..

Reply to
Steve T

-Just brakes- is a ripoff. Normally the rotors are fine and a "reliable" shop should be able to do a front brake job for around $125-$150.

Reply to
Steve T

Get the lifetime warrnty brakes from Autozone.

Reply to
XcitableBoi

Use premium genuine Nissan pads and as for the rotor removal, if it's anything like the '95 and back series, you'd better plan some time....

And make ABSOLUTELY sure you get the wheel bearings tightened juuuuuust right. Too loose, bang they're dead, too tight, you'll burn them right up. And I don't have access to '96+ information from a Nissan manual.

Might as well repack the wheel bearings, replace the grease seal(s) while you're there and assuming the hub is bolted to the rotor, it's not a bad idea to go ahead and replace those special bolts and lock washers as well. You Nissan parts department will be able to order them. Mine were very rusty from being in the `salt states'.

If you're not at least moderately mechanically inclined, I would advise you to pay the several hundred dollars and have the service department or a knowledgeable friend do the rotors. And never replace just one. Do them in pairs so there is equal material to provide equal cooling for equal braking. And if one rotor is significantly worn out, don't overlook that you may have a sticking caliper, and the other one has just as many miles as the failing one...

Wil

Reply to
Truck

So? You think removing material from them is going to be "less wear"?

I like semi metalic but again some are better than others. You won't go wrong with dealer pads.

Not easy as I recall. If they don't vibrate when braking, leave them alone.

Reply to
Steve T

Boy this is not encouraging.

Reply to