brake lights will not turn off

hi everybody my problem is that my brake lights outside my car will not turn off even though my car is turned off and it is currently parked at home... which leaves me to disconnect my battery

Reply to
mikeroch

on 6/21/2008 3:22 AM mikeroch said the following:

Check the brake light switch which is located under the brake pedal support. It is a push button that is activated when the pedal support is pressed against it. It may be stuck in the ON position. You can try a little WD40 to loosen it up, but don't flood it with WD40.

Reply to
willshak

I recently had this problem with my '89 240SX, and it works a little differently. The default state for the brake lights is on. A button about the size of a nickle (but thicker) turns them off when the brake pedal is in the released position. My button broke (the pieces were in the floorboard). I was able to use a bolt and nut to replace the button, and all is well again (at least with the car).

Good luck, Tracy

Reply to
Outta nowhere

willshak wrote in news:FqCdnfv6QJKvY8HVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

On my Acura Integra,I had the same problem,but it turned out to be a plastic button on the pedal arm that had crumbled from old age. The button held the brakelight switch in when there was no pressure on the pedal.

I just pulled a fuse to keep the lights off for the night,until it could be repaired.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

There is a small urethane button that attches to the brake pedal the is used to depress the switch, opening the circuit and turning off the brake lights.

Go to the dealer and ask them for the brake light button or "cough drop" as we call it in the shop.

The part is about 3 bucks or so

Reply to
NissTech