BRAKE problems! 1982 280ZX

IM having problem with my brakes. the pedal feel hard, as if I didn't have power brakes. even if I push very hard, I still CAN'T brake enough, I don't think I can even lock the wheels if I sped up fast enough and slammed on the brakes. IM afraid to drive it in real traffic until I figure this out. I m thinking it might be the brake booster. I DID check the vacuum and it is strong, I don't have a vacuum gauge, but it still seems Ok: to me. the one way valve also appears ok, but IM not sure if enough volume is going through the valve. if I blow through the opposite end, it does close. thank you! dave yoduro at yahoo.com

Reply to
dm

do this to test the brake booster: with the engine off, press the brake pedal several times until it is very hard to push. then, while firmly applying the pressure on the brake pedal, start the engine. if the booster is working properly, you'll feel the pressure on the pedal drop. if it stays firm, you've got a bad booster & need to have it replaced.

Reply to
: p

looks like the booster is ok, i think the check valve might be slighly bad, but i have isolated the booster problem, and it just seems it needs a good bleeding. THANK YOU!!!! dave

Reply to
dm