Brake question help...

I have a 93 Nissan quest. I changed the front pads, and the rear shoes. Bleed all the lines starting on the passenger side rear, moved to the drivers side rear, and then I moved to the passenger side front, and the driver side front.

During bleeding the brake pressure seemed to get better, and stay that way. But on a test drive, the brakes seem spongy, and slow to react. Where did I go wrong?

Reply to
clevere

As I recall, that's not the right order for the ABS based '93. Do you have ABS ?

You left air in there. Check the bleed order. Re bleed. Use a hose on the bleeder and make sure there's no air. You should probably have flushed it, rebuilt the front calipers, and rebuilt or replaced the rear. If you do all that and bleed it properly, the only possibility left is a leak. I'd be willing to bet on the bleeding, but it's hard to tell from here.

Reply to
-Bob-

I have seen older cars where the master cylinder craps out when bleeding the brakes. I'd say a 15 year old car qualifies! You're stroking the piston further down in the bore than it has probably been in years, there can easily be corrosion down that deep in the cylinder and it shreads the seals going over it. You may have done nothing wrong, it's just time for a new master cylinder. It could just be there is air still in there though?

BTW why did you bleed if all you did was change pads and shoes? Just wondering. I try to avoid doing this on older cars as it can just cause problems when there were none before. Same reason I "short stroke" the pedal after doing a pad change on old cars. Full stroking the pedal can take out an otherwise serviceable master cylinder.

Reply to
Steve T

Reply to
clevere