Broken timing belt! 87 Pathfinder

Well, the subject line says it all.

I failed to take my own advice, and let the timing belt break on my faithful 87 Pathfinder's VG30i engine. In my defense, I will say that it's only been maybe 50-60K miles since I changed it last. It's got

232,000 miles on it and I bought it new.

I had JUST gotten it back from the mechanic, who had to do so much timing adjustment on it that he had to remove the distributor and re-seat it. Was that a warning sign that he (or I) missed?

When it happened, I heard a LOUD clattering sound from under the hood and stopped the car immediately. I tried turning it over a couple times, for a couple of seconds each time, with no success of course.

How likely is it that serious valve damage has occurred? In about all other ways, it's been a very good vehicle and I'd hate to junk it. If any valves were damaged, is it worth fixing?

Reply to
Larry Kessler

JimV

Most definately some valve damage.

I would have treated this as a serious warning sign. I had an old Plymouth that the timing chain slipped while starting it up. If I took and advanced the distributor all the way and it would start and just barely chug at an idle. I knew immediately when had happened.

Reply to
Meat-Plow

My friend had the belt just slip (not Break) about 3 inches and his V6 engine was trashed. The valves were not only damaged, but some of the pistons too. Not sure where you're at, but some engine shops sell rebuilds with a warantee for you to install. There's a shop in the Denver area that sells them for $1,000 if I recall. Maybe $1300, but that might be if they install it. Good Luck.

Reply to
Paul Brogren