Can't find knock sensor on 4 cylinder '97 pickup.

I've got a 1997 "XE" standard pickup with auto trans and Air Conditoning. My "fault" readout is telling me that the knock sensor is bad, and there is a fairly strong miss in the engine at about 65 to 75 miles per hour. Also the "fault code" readout tells me that the #4 fuel injector is bad too. This fault code exists even though I did change the #4 fuel injector about 8 months ago, which did help this truck engine run better (and with more power too) but I still have this strong missing at from 65 to 75 miles per hour.

The missing engine is FAR more noticeable when the engine is *not* pulling much or is on flat ground with the cruise on. With full throttle I get far less emgine missing, or maybe none.

The main problem is I need to know WHERE they have hidden that "knock sensor" - because I've probably already spent about 1/2 hour to

45 minutes looking for it & can't find it. (thanks)
Reply to
Tech38

I don't think the 4 banger has one. Do you have the shop manual?

Reply to
JimV

On my Altima the sensor is under the intake manifold, above the oil filter. It's a little round metal piece with slightly convex shape as I recall, bolted right to the block. I would think yours is likely in the same place. Mine had been bad since I got the car, and when I finally had it replaced 2 years ago it cleared up the miss I was getting sometimes when stepping into the throttle. It made the engine overall much more responsive.

Hope that helps!

Reply to
JM

Nope - I didn't get a shop manual yet - just a small Haynes sorta-maintenance manual. This manual did refer to a "detonation sensor" (or some such name) that the parts stores sell for maybe $13 or $14. It's O.K. but it doesn't cover everything in great detail.

But this "manual" doesn't say the sensor is located - nor does it show a photo of the thing. I may end up buying a shop manual yet - but I've had a problem trying to find this also. But it looks like I need to start searching for that actual Nissan shop manual for real.

About 6 months ago I bought a new "knock sensor" from an on-line parts store - which was claimed to be for my '97 Nissan XE pickup (ha ha) which set me back $130+

Conditoning.

Reply to
Ruth Cory

Thanks a whole bunch for this advice! Actually I *had* suspected that the knock sensor might be located in the area you've mentioned - but I was to lazy (or plumb tired out) at that time to bother looking there. To reach that area on my '97 XE truck, you need to pull off the right front wheel - which is how you gain access to changing the oil filter too! So now I remember thinking "that damn sensor is probably hiding near the oil filter - and it's gonna be a Giant Pain to get in there to remove & replace it!" Since I had not followed up on that clear possibility - I simply forgot all about having this idea until I read your advice just now. Because I've looked EVERYWHERE ELSE, it seems a sure-thing you must be correct.

THANKS A LOT!

recall,

Reply to
Ruth Cory

Jim V said:

Hell no! I've a Haynes manual for up to 1997 plus I just bought a Chilton's CD-ROM manual on-liine for about $28. This Chilton alleged "manual" was only good for up to 1995 and said nothing about any knock sensor! Guess I'll have to buy that Nissan shop manual next.

Reply to
Tech38