Can't get to last sparkplug

2001 Frontier SE V6 I'm in the process of changing the sparkplugs on my truck. I've replaced all but one plug, the one closest to the firewall. I can't even see the sucker or get my big hands back there to feel where it is. Does anyone have a tip or trick on how to get at the back sparkplug?
Reply to
whitetruck
2001 Frontier Super Crew SE V6 I'm changing the sparkplugs on my truck. I have all but one plug replaced. The one I can't get to is the one on top, in the back, next to the firewall. Any suggestions on how to get at the sucker?
Reply to
whitetruck

you didn't need to post it twice, we all saw it the first time

It's a real pain in the ass, keep trying

Reply to
NissTech

You could hear a pin drop when the almighty "whitetruck" addressed his adoring fans with these immortal words:

don't know specific location of the plug, but I'm thinking if it's like a lot of V8's, it may be easier to remove the inner fender liner and access through there. Lifting the front end on a jack helps.

Reply to
kegler

Try this, worked for me.

Steve Oregon

Reply to
spud

Unbelievable. Your suggestion is almost exactly what I did to get the plug out. Now I'm trying to get the new plug in. My dilemma now is getting a good start on the threads. I can't tell if the plug is canted a little or straight up. I lay cardboard on top of the motor and have been lying on my belly on top. I can dangle a mirror back there and see the hole but I can't true look at the angle. I can snake my left arm around a couple of vacuum hoses and get my hand close but I can?t get to the hole. I think I may have gotten the plug started a time or two but it feels cross-thread. I worked on it for a good 10 hours yesterday. I?m going to try again this morning and work on it until I get it. In the future I assure all of you who read this that I will never ever complain about how much a mechanic charges for repairs.

Reply to
whitetruck

Use fuel hose (or aquarium hose, or ?) start the plug with. Just jam the tip into the hose, feel you way onto the plug hole, when it's screwed in you can pull the hose off and snug it up with your sockets. You won't cross thread this way.

Steve Oreg>Unbelievable. Your suggestion is almost exactly what I did to get the plug

Reply to
spud

Your right the "hose" trick works very well....just use any hose that provides a snug fit over the end of the plug.... I never could have done my Olds V6 without it. In fact even when you can see where your working its great for starting any plug...the tactile feel of the plug & threads to the fingers is amazing and virtually impossible to cross thread.....Rod

Reply to
Rod & Betty Jo

Wow. For all that work, I hope you're using platinums to delay the next change as looooong as possible:)

CD

Reply to
Codifus