Can't turn ignition key - Altima '98

My key will not turn in the ignition. I tried everything ... turning the wheel back and forth, wiggling the automatic stick in park (it won't budge either), etc.

I tried two different keys (a spare, as well as the original) and neither works.

Is there anything in the steering wheel column that I push, like a "dissengage" button or something?

Thanks, Charlie Kaiman

Reply to
CAK

Are you trying to start the car or remove the key? (Disengage sounds like remove) My older Nissan (93) has a button (right next to the ignition cylinder) you must push to turn the key the last 1/16th before you can remove it. My 2001 you must push the key 'in' for the last 1/16th before you can remove it

Gary K

Reply to
gary

I had that problem in a '97 I30 while it was still under warranty. The fix was to replace the ignition key mechanism.

Reply to
E. Meyer

I had the same problem with my 90' Stanza. I was told my ignition lock mechanism was bad and I needed a new ignition switch. I just eventually kept the key in the car just slightly turned (just so no lights light up) and used my extra key to lock it and such. I kept putting if off until I totaled the car while driving on ice.

Reply to
Pete

Probably the classic worn out nissan ign switch. If you wiggle the key just right, it will probably still work. Many time if you don't insert it all the way they work.

Reply to
Steve