Changing spark plugs on Nissan Altima 2002

Hi,

I have Nissan Altima (2002) with 71000KM on it and I think it's time for me to change the spark plugs. I read on another posting that it doesn't have wires and instead it has coil packs. Do I have to change the coil pack as well? or are they good for the life of the car. Also, anyone knows the steps to change the spark plugs when you don't have spark plug wires?

Thanks Maz.

Reply to
maflatoun

No need to change either yet, the plugs are good for 105k miles

Reply to
NissTech

Thanks Maz.

Reply to
maflatoun

You might want to consider changing them now bcasue if you wait till 105K, they can be seized in the head and be very difficult to remove, and aluminum isn't very giving.

Reply to
Eric F

I have heard that the shape of the threads on the NGK plugs they use in these cars has pretty much eliminated the problem of plugs seized in the head. Is this not true? Since I have several late (and not so late) Nissans in the family that all have extended plug replacement intervals, I am concerned if this is really a problem.

Has anyone here experienced seized plugs in a Nissan from the last ten years? Were the seized plugs OEM NGKs?

Reply to
E Meyer

I don't know whether NGK plugs are less likely to seize than other plugs. Since the plugs last a lot longer before they need replacement, they are more likely to seize with any brand. The next time you buy spark plugs, buy a small tube of antiseize and be safer.

Reply to
Willshak

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 12:00:56 -0400, Willshak graced this newsgroup with:

agree 100%. antiseize is strongly recommended for *any* plug.

I can't see how an NGK plug would be any different from seizing up. The threads have to match up exactly to the plug hole just like any other sparkplug. Sounds like marketing hype to me. Then again, maybe they're just putting a thin layer of antiseize on the threads at the factory.

Big whoop.

I only had a plug seize up on me once (in a Dodge Durango) to know that I would never, ever put plugs in a car without first dabbing a little antiseize compound on the plug thread first. It makes taking them out *much* easier. If nothing else a future owner or a shop technician will thank you for it. ;-)

Reply to
amstaffs

My personal experience with three recent Nissans:

- '96 I30 at 85k miles - original NGKs still in there, everything was pristine, plugs spun out by hand, threads were perfect. The engine compartment in this thing looked like it had been abandoned in the woods for a month with the hood open.

- '97 I30t at 63k miles - same thing. Everything clean and shiny.

- '95 Altima at 90k miles - car was pretty trashed. Plugs were fine. No corrosion in the holes or on the threads.

- '91 240sx - only 75k miles, but car was 12 years old when I got it. Appeared to be original NGKs. Plugs were definitely used up (this car did not have platinum plugs). No issues whatever with the threads.

I have memories of finding Champion plugs binding in the head with rusted threads in old Fords, 20 years ago, but I have seen no evidence in my limited experience with Nissans and Hondas that it is a problem with the OEM plugs.

So far, the score here is one seized Dodge and some "better safe than sorry" advice. I'll ask the question another way:

- Nisstech, if you're still out there, do the techs at the Nissan garage feel the need to use anti-seize on the plugs in newer Nissans or change them early? Have you seen any OEM NGK plugs seized?

Reply to
E Meyer

On any aluminum engine head, the engine should be cold. There is a much greater chance of stripping the threads if thay are warm. The same go's for all aluminum threads.

Reply to
jesse

Never had a plug seize but I've only let them go about 60K miles. With previously applied anti-seize they come out easier than I would expect.

The only time I had any issues was when the Infiniti dealer crossthreaded one plug after replacing a valve cover gasket. Of course they denied it and said there was no reason to remove the plugs so they couldn't possibly have done it. I always thread them in by hand to the crush washer so I know it wasn't me. Took a breaker bar and quarter-inch ratchet to get it out.

Reply to
Monte