Check Engine Service Light 2001 Pathfinder...

Does anyone know why a Service Engine Soon light would come on on my 2001 Pathfinder - it gets oil changes every 3k mi and seems to be running great, idling very smooth. Is this something that I have to take to my dealer to shut off? I haven't went to the dealer ever since they charged me $150 for routine maintenence at 15k - pretty much an oil change and 'topping off fluids' deal...

Reply to
Roland Thai

It could be a hundred different things from a loose gas cap to a failed sensor. Take it to the dealer and have the code read. It has nothing to do with having your oil changed.

Reply to
JimV

Reply to
recroom news

JimV is right. And it will almost always be an oxygen sensor.

Reply to
ppointer

Sounds like your old car had an evaporative problem. Disconnecting the battery won't clear the codes on newer cars. But it will cause other problems (engine relearn process, radio memory loss, etc).

recroom news wrote:

Reply to
JimV