Clacking sound from 96 Sentra at idle

Hi,

My gf's 96 Sentra has been making a clacking sound at idle, at all rpm's. It drives fine. No clacking when in gear. Her mech has "no clue" what the sound is. Anyone have an idea? Belts, maybe? Waterpump ?

Thanks

Reply to
User132384

Timing chain tensioner causing slack in the chain possibly.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I had a '95 Altima that did that. My first thought was the timing chain, but it turned out to be the disintegrating accessory belt zinging around the pulleys. How long has it been since you changed the belts?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Good question. I asked the gf (it's her car) and she says she doesn't know, may have never changed them. With the old V belts, a drop of water on the friction side of the belt would quiet them down for a few seconds. I'll try that with this flat belt. Maybe it will indicate something. Thanks for the idea.

Reply to
User132384

Clacking at "idle at all rpms" ?? What does that mean?

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

In Neutral, at any rpm, it clacks. It clacks at high idle and low idle. With foot on gas, and off gas.

Reply to
User132384

And not when in drive ? That's odd. Is it a stick or auto ?

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

Auto.

Reply to
User132384

Reply to
Jon Smith

Let me know what it was if you ever get it fixed

Reply to
Meat-->Plow