Codes on a '98 200sx SER

I am trying to pass an emissions test and I can't pass since the engine light is on. The codes from the computer are 138 and 1105. As I browsing around this group, I noticed a post that said that 1105 was for 3rd gear AT problems. Well, this my car is a SER, so obviously it is a 5 speed. What does this code mean?

Also, I understand that 138 means that o2 sensor high voltage (bank 1 sensor 2). Do I need to replace the sensor, clean it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am driving "illegally" right now. These emissions laws are making me feel like a criminal...I wanna get legal!

Reply to
tiki

You can take the car to autozone and have their scanner read the code for you for free.

CD

Reply to
codifus

tiki wrote in news:59545f34-aff6-43f1-baba- snipped-for-privacy@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com:

may be of some help.My Haynes manual doesn't list any "138" code for that model year.It does for 2000 and newer models; P0138 O2 sensor;high voltage (bank 1 sensor 2)

What engine do you have in that car? 1.6L,1.8L,2.0L?

if it's the downstream,2nd O2S,it could mean a bad catalytic converter. the 2nd O2S checks on the performance of the cat.

you can't clean O2 sensors.

Mileage of the car would help,too. O2 sensors last about 60-100K miles,and can get sluggish before that.

OEM sensors are the way to go,not those universal replacement sensors.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

DTC P0138

Rear Heated Oxygen Sensor (Max. Voltage Monitoring)

Component Description:

The rear heated oxygen sensor, after three way catlyst, monitors the oxygen level in the exhaust gas. Even if switching characteristics of the front heated oxygen sensor are shifted, the air fuel ratio is controlled to stoichiometric, byt the signal from the rear heated oxygen sensor. The sensor is made of ceramic zirconia. The zirconia generates voltage approximately 1V in richer conditions to 0V in leaner conditions. Under normal conditions the rear heated oxygen sensor is not used for engine control operations. --

The rear heated oxygen sensor has a much longer switching time between the rich and lean than the front heated oxygen sensor. The oxygen storage capacity before the three way catalyst causes the longer switching time. ECM monitors whether the maximum voltage of the sensor is sufficiently high during various conditions such as fuel-cut.

DTC 1105

Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP)/ Barometric Pressure (BARO) Switch Solenoid Valve

Component Description:

This system allows the absolute pressure sensor to monitor either ambient barometric pressure or intake manifold pressure. The MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve switches between two passages by ON-OFF pulse signals from the ECM. (One passage is from the air duct, the other is from the intake manifold.) Either ambient barometric pressure or intake minforld pressure is applied to the absolute pressure monitor.

The MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve switches its air flow passage according to the voltage signal sent from the ECM. Whem voltage is supplied from the ECM, the MAP/BARO switch solenoid turns "ON". Then, the absolute pressure sensor can monitor the ambient barometric pressure. When voltage is not supplied from the ECM, the MAP/BARO switch solenoid valve turns "OFF". Then, the sensor monitors intake manifold pressure.

Short Description. These systems really operate by magic. Your car is only and needs some $$$$ to feel better.

Jim

tiki wrote:

Reply to
Jim