Codes P1110 and P1135 on '01 Pathfinder - Valve timing control

My '01 Pathfinder has been throwing intermittent codes P1110 and P1135 which are the variable valve timing control on each side. The dealer replaced both solenoids, which didn't help. The dealer ran flushed the oiling system, which didn't help. They tested the oil pressure: good. Their current idea is that it's wear on the sprockets, or a stretched timing chain, which wouldn't seem to me to be intermittent -- wear and stretching don't come and go.

The problem is pretty intermittent -- the SES light will go out for a few days, then come back. The freeze frame shows it happens warmed up, 1900-2400 RPM.

135,000 miles on the truck. The oil and filter have been religiously changed every 5000 miles. Oil has been Castrol GTX 5W30. Filters have been Wix.

Any ideas?

Chuck Tribolet snipped-for-privacy@garlic.com

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet

I was having similar code experiences with the '02 Pathfinder. It would throw the swirl control valve solenoid code, one of the variable valve timing codes, or, one time, even an o2 code, every so often, usually in the middle of long road trips. While the truck was still under warranty, the dealer would simply replace the components and the light would go out out for 6 months to a year. Once it was out of warranty, I started testing the actual components, but never found anything out of spec, and simply reseating the connectors and resetting the light would give the same 6 months to a year of no complaints.

In the process of doing something else one day, I released the first hold down on the top of the engine on the fat cable bundle that comes off the firewall and just happens to carry all the wires associated with the codes it had been occasionally throwing. All the codes went away and have not returned in a year and a half now. My hypothesis is that cable was pulled to tightly between the firewall and the engine and engine movement relative to the firewall was stretching some of the wires (which of course don't want to stretch), causing the intermittent fault sensings. You might try adding a little slack between the engine and firewall on that cable bundle and see if your problems subside.

Reply to
E Meyer

Could you be more specific about the "fat bundle"? Where does it come through the firewall? Left (US passenger) side? Right? High? Low?

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet