Cold air intake problems

OK, I just installed a cold air intake on my '97 Nissan 200sx. I got a Mr. Gasket cold air kit from Napa that was intended for a Civic, but I just used the filter element after the mass airflow sensor. After installing the cone and starting my car, the check engine light came on. For a few minutes it smelled a lot like gas around my car, but that went away soon. So I am wanting to know what the deal is with the check engine light. Have you guys done a cold air, only to have it do the same? I didnt remove any vacuum hoses, so I cant really see a reason that the computer would register any sort of problems. I guess that its possible that the o2 sensor or some other computer device could measure a lean mixture due to the extra air, and come up with a problem, but I thought that the computer was supposed to fix that. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone could share some ideas with me. I am have only put about 50 miles since installing the cold air, and think that I should check the OBD2 for a readout of what the comp thinks is wrong, but i need a good link to a page that could tell me what a readout would mean. I have done this before, but am unable to find the page with readouts for my car. As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Jake

Joshua Johnson

sounds like you should not have Fuc*ed with it

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Reply to
NissTech

How about you only buying OEM tyres, brake pads, bulbs etc from your Nissan dealer instead of parts that are only copies of the real thing.

All parts fit all cars.

Peter Hill

Can't tell where you live so I can't tell if you have a 3 door Sentra or a 2 door 200SX turbo.

You can download the manual for the S14 200SX turbo from

has full details of ECU code extraction for early type III ecu.

3 door N/A Sentra is not worth doing anything with - buy a proper performance Nissan with a turbo (or two).

Peter Hill

First off, I am going to ignore any flames that people are posting. I said that I would appreciate any help, not that I would like to hear what people think of what I am doing with my car. The fact is that I already installed the filter, and am having problems with it. My car is a 1997 Nissan 200sx 2-door, naturally aspirated 1.6 liter(I think that it is a GA16 engine). So, if anyone could link me with a web site that describes the code readouts for an OBD2 system, that would be great. Any constructive help would also be useful.

Reply to
Jake

A Google search for "OBD DTC Nissan" (without the quotes) yields a good reference:

Lewis Shadoff

1997 Nissan 200SX
Jake wrote:
Reply to
Lewis Shadoff

I thought all Nissan vehicles made in the 90s were injected.

Reply to
Mind Melt

They are but only the good ones are turbocharged.

Peter Hill

I have already posted such links 7+ times this year. Use google groups and do a search.

Peter Hill

Um, it is probably your computer. Had the same problem on my '95 GMC truck. Doesn't the 200sx have the 2.4L engine? You might want to see what others have done.

Kai Ponte