Converting to Diesel a U.S. 1988 Nissan pickup King Cab 4x4 Automatic??? Need info about DT27T engine.

I have been offered a 1988 Nissan King Cab 4x4 Automatic Pickup with a siezed V6 (VG30??) Cheap. Timing belt went and the engine ate itself. It's straight and pretty clean.

I have an affinity for diesels, my other two cars are diesel.

So I immediatley thought about converting it to diesel.

I did some looking around at the Jap/JDM engine importers websites and there are a few different Nissan Diesel Engines available. I would like to use a 4cyl Turbo Diesel.

I did some googleing and found that D21 4x4's of that era were available in Japan with the TD27T 4 Cylinder Turbo Diesel engine and Automatic Transmission.

I am not at all familliar with Nissans, I have been mostly a GM and VW diesel user.

Anyone can help me with the following questions??

Would the swap be as easy as buying a TD27T import engine and bolting it up to the V6 auto trans?? Is the bell housing is diffrent??

Would the Frame and engine Mounts be the same? Or would they need to be fabbed??

Is the TD27T mechanical or electronic injection??

I called one of those places that import the JDM Front Clips for the ricers, They can get me a Terrano front cut with the TD27T, 4x4 Auto Trans, drive shaft, rear diff, and diesel fuel tank for around $2000.00. That's not a bad price considering what it comes with and it's a turbo diesel motor. Anything diesel isn't cheap. I have called around some wrecking yards and have been quoted $600-$800 for a used V6 so I might got the diesel route.

Any help or input appreciated from anyone that's done a diesel swap in a Nissan truck or is using the TD27T would be great. I would like to particularly know about the reliability and parts availablity. From what I have been reading it looks like quite a few have been imported to New Zealand and Auctrailia, parts don't seem to be a problem there. Thanks.

Reply to
Ziptar

Diesel engine is worth more than the truck! With the cost of diesel being so high why? Junk it and buy another truck!

Tom

Reply to
twfsa

Hi there,

This has been a bit of chatter about this over the years on the nissan yahoo group:

The bottom line is it can be done, but is a HUGE an complex project. In addition to the engine, you may need a tranny and transfer case, plus the rear diff + driveshaft, and exhaust. The ECU is different, which means a new wiring harness, which is apparently a nightmare to install.

Basically you need three vehicles - The patient, a donor, and something to drive while both vehicles are off the road :)

Cheers, Geoff Glave Vancouver, Canada '88 Hardbody 4x4 4-Banger

Reply to
Geoff Glave

Thanks for the Input twfsa and the link Geoff. I'll reasearch it a bit more, and post over in the nissan group.

Main reason I would do it is ultimatley it would run on Vegetable oil. I have my 2003 Jetta TDI setup for it now. I have been wanting a truck as of late, I could get a Ford or a Chevy Diesel but, they are too big for my needs. Every domestic diesel pickup I have looked at so far that has been in the $4k-$6K range is beat or rusted out.

I'll research it a bit more. The Jap Import Front clip would serve as the donor for the ecu, wiring, tranny, T-case etc, exhaust could be fabbed up. The main attraction is that I could be in the Jap Clip and the truck for < $3K and I would have to add the sweat to get it swapped.

Reply to
Ziptar

I have been thinking about the same thing except do a 2 wd because it would be easier. I saw a place on ebay that sells all kinds of imported diesels from Japan. Some of them are mechanical fuel injection and a standard tran so no computer to worry about. Anyone know where I can get some spec. on nissan diesels. I would like to get an idea of what size and model I would want. I need a little truck but would like to experiment with veg oil. There arent that many small diesel pickups over here. Go overseas and they are everywhere. Thanks guys.

Reply to
seafarer12