Could I have done any damage to my car?

Nissan 1999.5 PF. I was ready for a long drive so went to get gas, unscrewed the cap, and then noticed the dispenser was out of order, all other stations are being used, and since I already had 3/4 tank, I decided to just drive and fill up later.

I drove 200 miles and stopped at the next gas station. I saw that I had forgotten to screw the gas tank cap back on! I drove 200 miles with the tank exposed and the cap hanging. Did I do any permanent damage?

I noticed now my car does not start smoothly all the time, take two starts sometimes. Started happening after the trip. Could this be related?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Cuse

Was it raining? Normally driving with no cap doesn't hurt anything but I suppose on some cars if it was raining you could get some water in the gas if it was raining.

Reply to
Steve

No it was not raining. But it was pretty cold (but not freezing - the drive was from Miami to Orlando) so I guess could be water from condensation?

Thanks,

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Cuse

Doubt the two are related..

Reply to
Steve

I have a 99.5, last winter I noticed that the engine was starting poorly and rough idling. I bought some Fuel Injector Cleaner that was a gas tank additive. It worked in about a day or two. No trouble since. If you have not changed your oil in six months that could make it rough.

My Pathpuppy will be 5 years old next month. I have.. Changed the tires once 255/70R16, Had one tune-up Had one front end alignment Had both links replaced on the front suspension Changed the oil & filter every 4 months

It rides better today than the day I drove it off the lot, No rust! And I live in an area that uses a lot of road salt.

One Beef - Power windows are slow (stick) in cold weather

My brother in-law has a 99 Blazer, $7000.00 in repairs in the last year. Back and back and back to the shop.

Reply to
Philip

Should be ok, unless it was really dusty or snowing or raining. Even then I doubt that would cause any problems.

Reply to
SnoViper

Cuse wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com:

My significant other once drove her Sentra into a car wash with the gas cap off... Except for pouring in 2 bottles of gas dry (isopropyl alcohol) and praying, there's really nothing you can do... probably no harm done.

Reply to
Ed