Crack in radiator - 1996 Altima

Hi,

The top tank on my 1996 Altima has a horizontal crack about four inches long about one inch below the filler neck on the engine side of the radiator. It has been seeping about a quart of water per day here in hot Lubbock, Texas. I'm wondering if this can be fixed with something like JB Weld or a fiberglass/epoxy treatment. Is this ABS plastic? I've repaired some cracks in motorcycle luggage with fiberglass mesh and ABS glue.

Anyone have experience with this type of fix?

Thanks, Joe Trent

Reply to
Joe D. Trent

It's not likely any temporary fix is going to work. A replacement radiator can be had for 100 bucks - just replace the radiator.

Nirav

Reply to
njmodi

Agreed, I've replaced a bunch of blown headgaskets because of people trying to patch these plastic radiators rather than just replacing them and they end up overheating the car. I've never seen anything that will fix a cracked plastic radiator tank.

Reply to
Steve T

Ok, can anyone suggest a source for a new radiator?

Thanks, Joe

njmodi wrote:

Reply to
Joe D. Trent

I've always had great success with rockauto.com. If you want a genuine nissan replacement, try Courtesy Nissan (courtesyparts.com).

Here is a link to the rockauto.com page for your vehicle: "

" Nirav

Reply to
njmodi