CV boots on a 92 Stanza

How much should it cost to replace the CV boots on a 92 Stanza? Do you think I might as well replace the whole axle assembly if the CV boots are all torn up?

Thanks, Greg in Florida

Reply to
Gregorso

If the CV joints are heavily contaminated with dirt , the damage has altready been done.

The tolerances within a CV joint are very tight, dirt contamination causes those tolerances to become larger, which causes the joint to make a clicking noise when turning sharp.

If the joints are clicking , your too late

Reply to
NissTech

I don't know but at around $65 per hour and not much at all for the actual boots themselves, your cost will mostly be labor...which you can save if you do it yourself. Call the dealer and ask for an exact quote.

If the boots have been "all torn up" for a long time, then they most likely have premature wear, but you won't know untill you remove, clean and inspect them. If they do NOT look very worn (you're quite lucky) for the number of miles on them, then just repack them with the PROPER grease and put the new boots on (no split boots). If the CVJs DO look unduly worn -- and you can afford it -- put in new shafts, especially if you plan to keep the car.

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.

I paid $120 for putting on replacing boots on both sides. Parts & Labor but it was boots only not axles.

Reply to
AV

Thanks for the response on the message board. There are two boots on each wheel, right?  So you're saying $120 for a total of four boots? Which state are you in?

Reply to
Gregorso

Yes, there is an inner and outer boot on each side for a total of four boots.

As for and example of pricing, AutoZone (I looked online because AutoZone usually has the best pricing on stuff compared to Pep Boys and Checker) shows "boot kits" for my 1995 Nissan 200SX SE (GA16DE

1.6L engine like the Sentra) for $17-20 each, that'd be $80 plus sales tax for all four...your part costs should be similar...unless you get Nissan OEM boots, that is, and I'd expect THEM to be priced higher.

Whatever the parts' prices, labor would be more!

So do it yourself and save the labor or take it in.

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.