CVT ... is this a reliable design?

I'm looking at a Nissan Murano and never heard of CVT....is this a good, reliable technology (design)?

Does it hold up over time?

Any horror stories?

Thanks in advance.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Powell

CVT teansmissions have been in used in Eurpoe for over 10 years.

Does anyone really know the answer to this question ?

I have personally replaced over 15 CVT transmissions in the Murano since its release to the American market

Reply to
NissTech

Ouch - that's a lot in 2 years....

Reply to
SneakerFreak

Interesting. That's the 'thing' that concerns me.

Under what conditions were these 15 Muranos driven to need replacement of the CVT in such a short period of time?

And at what cost ($)?

Reply to
Gordon Powell

Consumer Reports indicate "much better than average" reliability for this vehicle from their surveys, with no trend toward transmission problems.

Reply to
Doc