Defective Power Door Lock Actuator - '91 Pathfinder

In case anyone's having trouble with this. The power door lock actuator on the front passenger door of our PF quit working. Since the dealer wanted $210cdn for the part alone, I decided there was no risk to dismantle the broken one. I found it had a factory defect. The circuit board was mounted out of position, causing a toothed arm to slide across circuit traces, eventually wearing through them. It was relatively easy to remount the board, and resolder the traces, lubricate the thing and reinsall it.

If this was bad on one actuator, it probably was a problem for other owners also.

Before fixing it, I tried to get a replacement from auto wreckers. Turns out there are three different actuators in just one PF, (the rear ones are different again) and they changed frequently over the years. But they're basically similar so they may work as long as the connectors match, or you do some creative wiring. Also, there are cheap solenoid third-party ones on the market that probably would work.

So here's a question: All four door locks follow whatever the "master" actuator on the driver's door does. Is the actuator on the front passenger door a "slave" or master actuator? We always thought it was a master, but after I fixed it, it works only as a slave. But there isn't enough wiring for it to operate as a master, and we realized that before having a kid, we always unlocked from the drivers side. Now we always unlock from the passenger side first, and run into this "stupid" slave actuator.

Reply to
SGrant