Dip Stick Reading? I have a 1986.5 PickUp VG30i D21

I have a 1986.5 Nissan PickUp engine VG30i chassi D21 and the oil level is extremely difficult to read.

May be silly question, but just wondering if others have similar problem and perhaps someone has a simple fix or trick.

thanks.

Reply to
Redigoogle

on 11/2/2007 11:29 AM Redigoogle said the following:

I have a similar problem. My simple fix is to wear my glasses. :-)

Reply to
willshak

Has this got the alloy block cast on the end of a wire cable type of dipstick?

Check all 4 sides of the indicator block, the lowest is the one you take as the oil level. at least 2 sides of the indicator tend to collect oil from the bend in the dipstick tube and give a false full reading. If engine has run all sides will have excess oil on them.

2 ways to get a good indication of level.

1: Sneak up on it! Check the level when it's cold first thing. Most of the oil will have drained from the tube so won't be collected by the dipstick indicator block.

2: If engine has run you have to get all the oil out of the tube so it can't transfer to the level indicator. Repeatedly insert dipstick about 1" short of fully in, remove and clean the dipstick. When the level indicator comes out clean of oil, push the dipstick fully home and extract, then it shows the correct level.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Yes

Very thorough and useful advise. Thank you Cliff

Reply to
Redigoogle

The Murano dipstick is a real PITA to get an accurate read. If the oil is fresh, I sometimes have to wet the stick with cold water to get the oil level to show. For some reason dipsticks are not one of Nissan's better products.

Reply to
R J Talley

I spray painted my friends with a flat black engine paint (oil will/might dissolve other paint). Makes it very easy to read the dipstick.

Reply to
LouieG