Duplicating keys on new Nissan

We just got a 2009 Versa for my wife and really like the car. It has chipped keys. The dealer wants $29.95 for a duplicate key and a half hour labor in the service department to get the car to recognize the key.

Is there any other way to match the key to the car? Or is this something that requires the dealership electronics to accomplish?

If I could just buy a couple of keys and do this myself, it would be a real savings. I don't like not having spare keys for emergencies.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

The dealer has to plug into the car's computer & program it to accept the new/all the keys.

When they do it, you need to bring in all the keys. Any left at home will no longer be valid.

You should be able to get 2 (or more) $29.95 keys made at once. It should be a flat rate to add them all at once (flat fee (1/2 hour labor?) for any number of keys to be added...)

Reply to
Gary

Thank you. Now, I know what to expect. Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Marsh

on 3/26/2009 1:53 PM (ET) Kevin Marsh wrote the following:

Some of the newer chipped keys are side notched rather than edge notched. They all may be side notched, but I don't know. I also don't know if key making machines are able to make duplicates of the newer side notched keys. If you can find someone that can make a duplicate, you won't need to have it programmed because you don't need a chipped key to unlock a door. That would only be handy if you accidentally locked your keys in the car. I keep a spare key in my wallet for just that purpose (I have an aftermarket keyless entry system), but I don't have chipped keys in my 97 PU.

Reply to
willshak