Engine Oil Overfill

Hello everyone,

I would to find out if putting too much oil in the enginer is bad or not.

I have a 2001 Sentra SE. According to the manual, it needs only 3 1/2 quarts (with filtter replacement). Last time the dealership put 4 quarts in the engine. Does the extra 1/2 quart hurt the engine?

Thanks in advance for information.

Reply to
Trang

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 22:47:51 GMT, "Trang" scribbled:

Not really. It'll just burn the excess (not necessarily the whole 1/2 quart) and it will just go to waste.

-- Phillip Weston Taumarunui, New Zealand

Phillip Weston

More oil means more (excessive) oil pressure in your engine...not good for oil seals, gaskets, and you may even see some oil/oil residue coming out around your dipstick hole (blowby).

If it IS overfilled, put a oil drainpan under your car, remove the oilpan drainplug, let a little oil drain out (one second drain time increments), finger tighten the plug, check the oil level on your dipstick -- repeat this process as often as necessary until the oil level reaches the MAX level mark on your dipstick.

Automatic transmissions seem to be even MORE prone to problems resulting from overfilling than engines are (as is the power steering system).

In short, the general rule is: DO NOT OVERFILL.

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.

Yes, get the extra out. Amazing, even the dealer can't do it right. I do mine in the driveway, this sort of thing (and worse) has happened so many times to me at quickie lubes over the years.

The main danger (as I understand it) is if the oil is high enough for the spinning crankshaft to whip it into a foam or froth. With air bubbles in the oil, the oil pump cavitates when it tries to 'suck' the oil up from the pan, and you get low or zero oil pressure. This is of course a very bad condition, to be avoided. Put your mind at rest, drain the excess.

-Rich.. 2 years a Sentra owner. Wishing I'd bought that Honda...

Reply to
Pete

Rich,

Saw your other post re: problems with your 2001 Sentra. Maybe you got a lemon?

Check out this website and look up the Lemon Laws in your state...maybe you can get recourse:

Good luck,

John D.

Reply to
John D.