Freezing weather making battery/brake light warning?

I have a 2000 Nissan Maxima, 138000 mi. After my car has been sitting in near freezing temps, when I turn my car on the battery light and/ or my brake light will come on for a minute or so, then after my car runs for a while, the lights turn off. I have not noticed the warning lights when the weather is warmer. Is this something that I should get checked out or can I attribute this to the cold weather? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
FCJK23

I expect that the alternator is not charging for the period when the light is on. Possibly a connection on the alternator is not too tight and opens when very cold. Upon warmup it works again. If the disconnect is internal to the alternator (e.g. brushes, commutator), then the alternator is probably on its way out. It is possible that the belt might be slipping when cold but one would expect to hear some belt noise. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al