frontier shift-up speeds totally changed

I have a 1998 Frontier with a 5-speed manual transmission (2WD) with 102,000 miles on it.

It has run great from day 1 (bought it new). UNTIL LAST FRIDAY!

Now, whenver I drive it, the engine cries out to be shifted to a higher gear at much lower speeds than just the day before. It is noticeable in every gear! Fifth gear seems like 4th, 4th gear seems like 3rd, 3rd gear seems like 2nd, etc.

The manual suggests shifting from 1st to 2nd at 15MPH, 2nd to 3rd at 25 MPH, 3rd to 4th at 40MPH, 4th to 5th at 45MPH. I used to shift around those speeds, and the engine did not complain at all, but now 10MPH in first gear is really pushing it. The manual also states that the maximum speed in 1st should be 30 MPH. Just as an experiment, I accelerated briskly and tried to see if I could reach 30 MPH. Well, I chickened out right around 20 MPH, as it sounded like the engine would explode if pushed any higher.

Unfortunately, I have no tachometer, but something is terribly wrong, and I don't have a clue. I took it to the dealer, and they said it was ok, but I know my truck and the shift points are totally changed from last week.

I would be grateful for any information you can give me.

Thanks, Robert Cunningham

Reply to
Robert Cunningham