Fuel Pump?

Hi all, My '89 240SX hesitates when I leave from a stoplight about once a week and from what I can tell, it looks like I need a new fuel pump. The throttle sensor gives me the variable ohms when moved, so I believe it is good. Anyone out there have any other suggestions on possible things to check? Car was running perfect before this started. I was planning to get one of those Walbro pumps off ebay for $84, are these worth the money? Thanks for any replies! Johnboy

Reply to
Johnboy

Why would you assume this? I've never seen a bad fuel pump on one of those cars.

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
Johnboy

Bosch platinum plugs? Intermitant problems like this can be a nightmare to find. Some of these had a problem with the air flow meter not being grounded well enough. I've had to add a ground from the AF meter ground pin to the body on a few of these.

Reply to
Steve

John Hesitation could be caused by several factors, (from the very simple of things to the most pain in the ass to troubleshoot!!). Best just to start with the easiest items which may cause your hesitation problem: Before you start though, place your vehicle's engine control unit, (ECU), into Diagnostic mode & check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's). A diagnostic code could point you in the proper direction in repairing your hesitation problem. To put the ECU into diagnostic mode go to the 240SX Car Club of America Website at:

Once the webpage opens, scroll down and click on the 240SX FAQ link. This will open up another webpage with multiple links on the left side. Scroll down those links till you get to ECM, reading troublecodes SOHC - click on that link. Instructions on how to put your ECU into Diagnostic mode should then pop up. Follow the directions & post your results. If no DTC's pop up when you have the ECU in diagnostic mode, then do the following:

1). Replace your air filter 2). Replace your fuel filter 3). Do a tune up - check/replace your spark plugs along with distributor cap & rotor. 4). Check and readjust your timing if needed. 5). Clean out your throttle body with a can a carburator cleaner 6). Pour a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank when you fill it up with gas. 7). Check for vacuum leaks around the intake manifold, fuel pressure regulator & EGR system 8). Check and adjust your throttle cable that runs from your gas pedal to the throttle body linkage. Try doing all the above BEFORE you go out and replace your fuel pump. The above may fix your problem. If it doesn't, then you may want to consider posting your 240SX car problem to the 240SX Amarok.Org mailing list. The 240SX Amarok mailing list is a FREE mailing list where you can post all your Nissan 240SX related questions to. Subscribers to the 240SX mailing list are spread out thru out the entire United States & Canada & may be able to assist you with your hesitation problem. You also might be able to find a local 240SX chapter in your neck of the woods. To subscribe, just click on the attached link & follow the instructions:
't let the dinky-looking webpage fool you. Once you subscribe to the mailinglist you'll be amazed by all the knowledgeable 240SX owners that are out there AND that are willing to help you out. Give it a shot...doesn't hurt. Anyhow, good luck with the troubleshooting... ID 1995 240SX SE ...member...SoCAl240SX.org

Johnboy wrote:

Reply to
REMOVETHISidlafie