Gas Gage on 87 Sentra

Why does the Gas logo light up when the gas tank is not on empty? And how many miles can one get when the gage first lights up? I did not get gas coming home from work, and I am about 15-17 miles from the nearest gas station. The gage icon did not light up till a few miles from my house. However my gas gage says that the tank is not on empty.

I have done this before, and hope I have a while till it runs out completely.

What do you say?

John

Reply to
Bible John

25 to 75 miles depending on driving astyle, the way the sensor is calibrated, car's tuning, etc.

You could carry a can of gas with you and test it... But it's probably not worth it. Just fill it up at 1/4 tank all the time. Helps avid condensation in the gas tank anyhow - which keeps rust and other problems at bay.

Reply to
Joe

I have some bad habits.

Well I think I'll be okay.