GM, Ford, Chrysler vs. Toyota, Nissan, Honda production

Sure, but Toyota has seven years of real-world data and working out the bugs in a real vhehicle. Not prototypes. Not new implimentations. 200K+ miles on numerous vehicles used for deliveries and as Taxis, plus tens of thousands of U.S. sales. (started in 1997 in Japan)

That gives them a full generation leap on everyone else other than Honda, which is not as efficient as design.

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

I prefer red LED.

to the other guy which posted about performance and reliability i already mentioned it in my same post

"Asian imports are reliable. False. Go take a look at the jap newsgroups and people crying about things breaking down. They cost more to fix and harder to work on. And if they are such great cars, i would see a lot more older asian cars on the road. But i dont. "

asian cars have performance :-O "psah and monkeys fly out of my butt" quote from waynes world their amc pacer has more performance.

And to "modify" an asian car to be in the same performance as any european or domestic car, costs more then what the car is worth.

I can mod my vw bug any 3 i got, 68,74,72, for less then what it would cost an asian car. Same goes with any four banger domestics or v8s.

Reply to
Erik

Quite so. It's about time to get rid of thousands of pork-barrells and get the size of the government to the minimum it's supposed to constitutionally be.

Reply to
Neo

Yeah, that was my point. I'm guessing you weren't the one who said "nobody wants the damn things."

Hybrids are beneficial in every way, nevermind what people think.

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

My point was that from a company pride/technical achievement standpoint, it's dumb for the contest to be about building better engines because anyone can make their engine as big as they please. If all the Americans have is BIGNESS, that seems like a pretty SMALL accomplishment.

Nobody said it was worth GM's premium; maybe you didn't notice my sarcasm when I said "only $40,000." I was just saying it can HELP; GM's choosing to rip people off doesn't decrease its benefits. I bet it only costs a few hundred to produce per unit.

Ugly? Try fugly. But the interior dimensions are virtually the same, and you're only comparing the base stripper LE Camry. And even with those price numbers, let's redo the gas thing. Consumer Reports says the previous-generation Prius -- which gets WORSE gas mileage than the new one -- got, I believe, 40 MPG, and a 4-banger Camry about 24. Assuming $2 a gallon and

12,000 miles a year, a year of Camry driving is $1,000 and a year of Prius driving $600, meaning you save $400 a year with the Prius. If the MSRP difference is only $2,000 (or so), then yeah, 5 years would make it up, and every year thereafter is FREE MONEY! Most people keep their cars, or at least their Toyotas, for about 10 years these days, which means the average guy is getting paid $2,000 for choosing a Prius over a Camry. Many, many Toyotas can go about 15 years before they die, so maybe make that $4,000.
Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

I think a revamp of the anger management (as well as the literacy) program in the trailer park would be in order.

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

Use a Real gas price of ~ $1.60/gallon and watch the "savings" disappear...

Reply to
mailinglists

Crunchy Cookie.... Even if i did live in a trailer home, which i dont. I didn't get my education from one. Pretty obvious where your knowledge came from.

Im stating pure facts, im not getting angry about anything. And a lot of people argued against your none sense.

Crunchy, you can go back to your GED education, and keep on crunching on those scabs that you call a cookie, while you keep it in the family.

Reply to
Erik

You'll notice that the new Prius comes pretty well loaded up - like a middle-trim Camry.

More than that with the tax rebate. Only fair, IMO, since it pollutes a fraction of a typical engine, and the first year registration is pretty close to $1000.

Oh - the new one? 55mpg average. ~440 a year in gas. Roughly three years and seven months to make up the difference.

Call it four. That's as short as the typical loan periods get.(48 months)

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Try $1.40 and falling.

Reply to
Steve

No one in the press ever managed to get more than about 35MPG in that thing.

Until one needs to replace teh 5-year rated battery pack for measly $3000...

Minus 3 battery packs, ringing $9000, that's $5000 more expensive!

Reply to
Neo

Whoopee. Of my 3 daily-driven vehicles, one is 37 years old with 265,000 miles, one is 30 years old with 430,000 miles, and one is 11 years old with 205,000 miles. A Dodge, a Plymouth, and an Eagle.

Toyota impresses me not.

Reply to
Steve

Actually, the packs are good for ten years or 200K miles and real world driving has verified the 200K part. 7 years so far on the others - and a mere handful of failures at the 7 year mark.

This is the real deal and not a piece of junk like the EV-1

Reply to
Joseph Oberlander

Here throughout California, it's still $2.

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

I just told you I think CR got 40 in mixed driving. Now that I looked it up for sure, I was wrong. They got 41.

Reply to
Crunchy Cookie

How can you tell how reliable they are unless you know the total number of them? But everything I've seen says that the better Japanese cars, like Nissans, Toyotas, and Hondas, average half as many failures as the American cars, new or old.

I've found that parts for my Nissan truck are cheaper than those for my Ford, the last time $8 for a sensor connector, compared to $30 from Ford for virtually the same thing.

Doesn't that depend on how many were being sold back then and the habits of the buyers? I see many older trucks but not many cars made before 1990, America, Asian, or Chrysler.

Reply to
larrymoencurly

This morning I've paid $1.46 for premium. Regular was $1.36.

Reply to
Neo

Thanks for digging that up.

Reply to
Neo

Average among the 4 gas stations within .5 miles for regular is $1.77 here in Rhode Island.

Reply to
COTTP

I don't see how that could be since the price difference is always 10 cents, therefore regular is 1.36 then plus would be 1.46 and premium would be 1.56

Reply to
Scott