Headlight question

My 1986 Nissan D21 Pickup has suddenly developed a problem where the headlights won't come on (even though the park lights do and the dash lights work and the headlight switch *seems* to function normally). The strange thing is that the high beams work fine but when I flip the switch back to low beam, no lights. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Just wondering if there's a relay associated with the headlights that might be an easy-to-swap-out item. This problem happened all of a sudden one day and the lights don't visually appear to have anything wrong with them.

thanks for any help,

John

Reply to
jcage

I can think of 3 probable points of failure: the switch , a relay or (the most common) the lights themselves, sometimes the lights low beam filament burns out while the high beam still works, as the low beam is used a lot more, but i don't remember seeing both of them going at same time (but it can happen though). If you have a multimeter (any cheap one will do) you can check if you receive voltage at the lights terminal, if you do then the lightbulb is burned out. Or have a mechanic check it.

Good luck

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
raluxs

Don't know if this applies...

My '97 Quest had no right headlight unless the "passing beam" was selected. Replacing the high beam switch in the steering column fixed the problem.

Reply to
Kay Archer