Heater Dial Malfunctioning (1997 Sentra)

Okay, so it's getting a bit colder here. Hit 38 the night before last and we may actually have to turn the heat on in the house soon.

...But I've got a new issue with the car that just won't die. The twist knob that adjusts the fan setting for AC, fan or heat works great! ...But the contacts must be wearing off or a fuse gone because setting 1 and 2 do not work. That means when I want just a little bit of heat once the engine is warm, I can choose 3 or 4 or turn down the temperature.

Anyone know what causes this to happen and maybe how to fix it?

I was fine with 1 not working. ...But now that 2 has disappeared, I'm starting to worry about winter if 3 and 4 go bad too... That would force me to bundle up quite a bit and/or get a new car or 12V heater...

If it matters, it is a 1997 Nissan Sentra with 207,000 on it. Other than minor stuff like this, it runs like a top and doesn't eat a bit of oil. The back doors are stiff from never taking on passengers and I'm convinced it'll be another car, a deer or rust that eventually makes this commuter's dream car die.

...Or lack of heat on a 10 degree morning!

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Usually it will be the resistor pack that controls the fan speeds, though I have seen the same symptom caused by burned contacts in the switch.

The resistor pack will be a little block screwed into the air box, behind the glove box. Look for a connector with four or five wires. Its not the end at the fan, but out by itself on the air box. Usually held in by a screw on each end. You should be able to pick one up from the local junk yard relatively cheap.

If that doesn't fix it, take apart the dash switch and look for burned contacts. If its the switch, it'll be obvious when you take it apart. Repair by replacing the switch (same junk yard, probably from the same car).

Reply to
E. Meyer

Excellent advice...

Did I mention that junk yards are virtually non-existant in NJ? :(

I'll find the part that is bad, maybe order *both* in case from an on-line junk yard and pray the electrical gremlins don't strike my used part.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

My '92 Sentra has 178K on it and still runs great, and no, it was not "lovingly maintained" by it's previous owner. I suspect the rust will make it un-inspect-able in the next year or so, but it doesn't owe me anything.

The first year I got it, the blower resistor failed. I bought a new one, locally I think, for about $25.00. Personally, I would not bother with a used one, you (or somebody, maybe me) may still be driving this car in five years. It's not a lot of work to change the resistor, but still.....

The switch, I can't say. I would put in a new resistor and see if that fixes it.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

I had the same problem with my Frontier . E.Meyer was right on with his advice . I would not waste time with a used one as it could also be no good . D.

Reply to
D.

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in news:RjKso.1783$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

if you're ordering online,check out new parts prices,too. there may not be that much difference,especially if you can get aftermarket parts. I saved hundreds on a MAF sensor for my 03 Sentra SpecV by looking around and finding the sensor itself without the housing that most places include as part of the MAF unit. $400 for the sensor and housing,$80 for sensor alone. Crazy.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thanks for all the great tips folks. I'll have to find the time to do it now, but at least I have an avenue to hopeful repair. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

Thanks for all the great tips folks. I'll have to find the time to do it now, but at least I have an avenue to hopeful repair. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
V8013-R
Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

I had the same problem with my 1986 hardbody pu and I checked the resistors behind the GB and was told by an electrician friend to bring him the motor.He opened it up and cleaned the commutator? (not sure if thats what its called,the windings in the motor) and everything worked fine.Doesn't make sense to me but thats what happened.

Reply to
R P